Join now - be part of our community!

TV wont turn on after Oreo

profile.country.GB.title
AdamW3
New

TV wont turn on after Oreo

I have a KD-49XD8305 and I recently updated my TV firmware to 8.0 (oreo). Since then, every other day the TV wont turn on. It wont turn on with either the remote or the button on the TV. The only way I can get this to turn on is to unplug at the mains for about 15 seconds and when I plug it back in, it will allow me to turn on again. Anyone else having a similar issue since the update or know of any solution?

38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
srunosa
Explorer

Sorry for my English..

My tv is xf90. I had same issues after Oreo update. I did this and there was no problem for 1 week.

This problem is caused by the latest versions of Netflix. It's completely crashing the TV.

Here is the solution:

1- Reset the TV to the factory settings.

2- Update all apps on Google play store

3- Disable auto-update apps on Google play store and disable update tv firmware

4- Click Netflix app on Google play store and remove all updates

Good Netflix software version should be 6.1.1 build 2440. I haven't had a problem in a week.

profile.country.GB.title
allisondbl
Explorer

Update. Did the eco turn off and turned TV off and it was off for 9 hours or so and came back and again: it won't turn on. So that is NOT the fix.  The idea about it being a Netflix issue is interesting although I'm not entirely sure what the poster is suggesting to do about "turning off all the Netflix updates"or something?

I can buy a wifi plug and deal with that, but what I'm really concerned about is that this will fritz my motherboard as has been suggested and since it's out of warranty SONY will of course refuse responsibility for what IT broke. I hate the idea of a class action lawsuit for this but it may be necessary if we can be SURE of what is causing this. If THEY broke it THEY bought it and THEY should fix it!

profile.country.GB.title
srunosa
Explorer

Open "Google play store", go to "My Apps", click to Netflix and remove all Netflix updates.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Out of interest have you checked this setting (posted elsewhere, may or may not work but worth a try):

Some users have suggested that switching OFF "Service Replacement" in the TV digital settings fixes the problem. This also works around an issue where the TV can freeze when changing channels on the TV.

When "ON" this setting automatically changes the channel if the broadcaster changes transmission of the viewed programme to a different channel. Not sure this is ever used? Not in the UK that I know if.

So to turn this off Home > Settings > Channel Setup > Digital Setup > Technical Set-up > Service Replacement (set to OFF).

Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Buzzingfast
Explorer

Thank you for suggestion, I checked my settings and Service Replacement is already off,

Sony should be sorting this as it shouldn't be a setting issue as the TV ends up completely un responsive and dead.

profile.country.GB.title
allisondbl
Explorer

Thanks for this! But it isn't set up the same way on U.S. TVs for those coming here from the states. So not the solution yet.
Jay001
Explorer

I tried your solution. It seemed to work for a couple weeks and then it stopped and I'm back to unplugging tv every couple days

DrBongz23
Explorer

Sorry if it’s already been suggested but I had this problem and I needed to remove my USB stick out of the tv and it turned on/off fine after that. Oreo doesn’t seem to like to turn back on when a USB drive is connected 

profile.country.GB.title
MattRoberts110
New

HI there, I have a KD-55XF9005 which I purchased in Feb.  Mine is fine until left overnight then will not turn on from standby.  This problem only started after 2 weeks when it had done the latest firmware update.  I have no USB sticks connected and I cannot disconnect my AVR as that is the only connection my TV has.

If I am using the TV during the day its fine, I just went to it and it had been on standby for about 4hrs and it fired up.  If I leave it overnight it will require unplugging to work.  I have just tried turning all the eco features off.