Join now - be part of our community!

Settings: display area / screen, for apps (Video, YouTUbe, etc...) grayed out

profile.country.BG.title
Gworan
Explorer

Settings: display area / screen, for apps (Video, YouTUbe, etc...) grayed out

Hi,

I have a KDL-55W807C. I have updated it to the latest software version - v5.435.

I am unable to change ANY screen settings ( Home > Settings > Display > Screen ) They're all grayed out.

20200415_123423 (1).jpg

These settings work, and I can change them only for HDMI inputs, and TV channels. I want to use the "Full Pixel" setting for apps too. But I cannot change the display area for apps. Like YouTube, many videos are stretched sideways, or cropped. In the default Videos app, sometime I want to watch something from an external HDD, and the video is VERY stretched sideways. Basically unwatchable. Also in screen mirroring the image appears very stretched and I cannot fix it.

This is very frustrating.

What's wrong with my TV? I know it's old, and I am looking into buying a newer one, but now I feel like I won't go for Sony again, these are basic settings, I should be able to get the picture displayed correctly. Getting another TV should not be the correct fix for this issue... 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What you want to do is not possible. You cannot change via the tv the aspect of the content rendered by the app. This can only be done by the app itself (if possible). I.e. using a different player like Nova for USB/network file you can decide INSIDE the app if you want to stretch or zoom the content. Youtube do not implement such controls: it display the source as it is (you can only chose the resolution) and render it on a 16:9 screen (so the black bars if any are set by the app)

profile.country.BG.title
Gworan
Explorer

Well... this sucks. I don't understand why the default setting has to be "-1" which zooms and crops parts of the frame, instead of the value of "1" which shows the whole picture... I don't even know what to say... 

Thanks for the comment.