Join now - be part of our community!

TV wont turn on after Oreo

profile.country.GB.title
AdamW3
New

TV wont turn on after Oreo

I have a KD-49XD8305 and I recently updated my TV firmware to 8.0 (oreo). Since then, every other day the TV wont turn on. It wont turn on with either the remote or the button on the TV. The only way I can get this to turn on is to unplug at the mains for about 15 seconds and when I plug it back in, it will allow me to turn on again. Anyone else having a similar issue since the update or know of any solution?

38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
jgn88n

I’ll be doing the same

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Have previously reported my solution to this problem: remove the USB-dongle!

MJKhere
New

Same problem here. Noticed issue a couple of days ago.  Cannot get tv (KDL-55XF9005) to switch on from standby using remote since updating to Oreo.  Not acceptable.  

Have to switch it off and on by the plug to have remote respond again, and then get the android boot animation as if I've reset it purposely.  Not acceptable.  

Thought at first it was a problem with the remote being confused with another sony tv in the same room which it can control no problems, especially funny as the other sony tv is a relic from about 10-15 years ago.  Meanwhile the new telly stands malfunctioning and off. 

Needs fixing or will be returning to John Lewis, as it is not fit for purpose in its current state.

Will be trying the eco thing aked about, but feel I already have those settings to off from previous 

profile.country.GB.title
Buzzingfast
Explorer

I too have had issues with Turning the TV on after the Oreo update, annoying how it's ok for a week then its suddenly dead,

Pull power out for 2 minutes and it comes back on.

KD 50SD8005

profile.country.PE.title
jcstoll
Explorer

As suggested, last week I removed the USB memory dongle.  The problem stopped.  Almost one week without issues.  Do it.

profile.country.GB.title
Buzzingfast
Explorer

I only have a usb dongle connected which is part of the official Sony sub for the TV, without it the sound is dead.

Sony need to fix this with a firmware, so far the Eco all off and auto power off being off seems to have helped, just over a Week now and not needed to remove the Power.

Thanks to all for ongoing support,

profile.country.GB.title
Xf9005hasnoEARC
Explorer

I have this issue also, although not every time and it has only started happening over the last week or so and I updated the firmware over a month ago so i cannot directly connect it to the firmware update

I have never had anything connect via USB

theflyingnerd
Explorer

I had the problem of the TV not turning on just a few minutes ago. For me there was a USB keyboard plugged into the TV, and removing it did allow the TV to turn on this time. Hopefully the solution works every time, though it's still frustrating

profile.country.GB.title
PossyNZ
Explorer

Had same problem wouldn't turn on with remote or at set if left on standby for some period without unplugging etc, followed suggestions to turn off Eco power saving, made no difference, followed suggestion to remove USB dongle(wireless mouse receiver) and also removed the batteries from remote and held power done for ten seconds plus. Now seems to work fine has turned on every time for the last two days. If all stays ok will try reinserting dongle and see what happens.

profile.country.GB.title
allisondbl
Explorer

Chiming in here from the U.S. My SONY XBR49X800E ALSO won't turn on after bloody Oreo update. Or, rather, after you unplug it and replug it and let it re-run Android it will run fine, and then after it's turned off for some period of time, BOOP same problem: won't turn on via remote. At first it was every few days now it's every day.
SONY has acknowledged it knows about this. Says all you can do is do a factory reset which undoes every setting and upload you've done to make your TV yours. SONY knows about it and SHRUGS and says it's up to Android to fix it. Which as we all know can take YEARS.

I do not now and have NEVER had a USB dongle plugged in.

FWIW I had the epiphany last night to use a smart plug into my surge protector to let me turn off and on from where I sit. And it appears others have figured this out as well so it should work.

COME ON SONY. YOU HAVE ENOUGH CLOUT - TELL ANDROID TO FIGURE OUT THIS - I'LL BET SIMPLE - PROBLEM AND SEND OUT A PATCH OR TELL THEM YOU'LL FIND ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM.