Join now - be part of our community!

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

Itchigo53
Explorer

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

All, installed the update and have now been notified I can record.  Got a usb hdd plugged in but when I press the record button either on live tv or epg for a future programme I have the msg pop up "the button is unavailable in youview mode" ! I've searched and no one else seems to have this error. 

Thanks.

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
EricCarter
Explorer

I am Gobsmacked !

This was not communicated to me by the Sales Staff  hmmmmm would I have made a different choice ?

Well for what its worth its the last time I will EVER buy a Sony product..

Oh the Manual .... What a joke,  It tells you how to fix the TV to a wall bracket but not how to do the most BASIC of things......      Unbelievable...

I guess Sony need to stick to their knitting and stay with Games Consoles #Sony #SmartTVNOT

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@EricCarter wrote:

I am Gobsmacked !

This was not communicated to me by the Sales Staff  hmmmmm would I have made a different choice ?

Well for what its worth its the last time I will EVER buy a Sony product..

Oh the Manual .... What a joke,  It tells you how to fix the TV to a wall bracket but not how to do the most BASIC of things......      Unbelievable...

I guess Sony need to stick to their knitting and stay with Games Consoles #Sony #SmartTVNOT

If you specifically asked for recording on YouView, and they said the set was suitable, you were missold, and can take it back.

In fact, if you were just recently sold it, you can take it back for no particular reason except you have changed your mind.

Are you talking about the manual with the TV, or the ones on the Sony Support site? One of those is about hanging the TV on a wall, and the other is a software copy of that paper manual, but helpfully, Sony do not indicate which is which 😞

Use the Help on the TV itself, though; that is a lot more comprehensive.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

Link to manual

This is a more thorough guide than the one provided with Sony TVs (assuming you haven't returned it).

djsat22
New

Just chiming in here as ive had a similar issue.  As far as i see it, Sony are in the wrong here.  Their original spec sheet for this product metinoed nothing about youview and DID mention that you can reocrd TV shows, use the SAT and twin tuners and use Apps. An old version of the page can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150501072515/http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-seri...?

By Sony creating a software update which disallows this combination of featufes im pretty sure there is room for recourse under consumer rights rules.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@djsat22 wrote:

Just chiming in here as I've had a similar issue.  As far as I see it, Sony are in the wrong here.  Their original spec sheet for this product mentioned nothing about youview and DID mention that you can record TV shows, use the SAT and twin tuners and use Apps. An old version of the page can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150501072515/http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-seri...?

By Sony creating a software update which disallows this combination of features I'm pretty sure there is room for recourse under consumer rights rules.

But the combination isn't disallowed - if you exit YouView mode (Settings/Channels/YouView/Disable YouView), your TV will function exactly as that old page describes, and should continue to do so throughout all future updates.

You could certainly take issue with Sony for changing the TV operating mode to YouView, without giving the user any choice in the matter, in the update that first added YouView capability to these sets; I think that was a mistake, and the choice of staying with Freeview should have been offered, especially to satellite users, who thereby lost all their tunings.

But beyond that, the YouView Mode is entirely reversible, and you get back satellite operation, and recording capability, with the loss only of the Itv and All4 Players. Neither of which was promised in that spec you reference.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
longjohn8
Explorer

A semi work around is possible by turning the YouView on and off - but first it is important to save the tuning information to your hard disk you are using for recording, within technical setup. If you do this after you have tuned in both Terrestrial and Satelitte channels and made any channel number changes, you can then restore the channel setup each time you switch off Youview, thereby saving yourself the lengthy satellite & DTV retuning process.

Not ideal, but it does make switching between Youview & Freeview a good deal easier especially as Sat tuning is not Freesat and requires considerable channel moving to get the channels for your TV region in the right place. At least once you have moved all your sat channels to where you want then, you can save your work.

But still, all in all, Sony's impelemtation of Youview,Recording & Satellite is an utter mess, that defines belief. I for one will never be buying another Sony product.

profile.country.GB.title
jhunter619
Explorer

Very late to this thread I guess but I re-visited this having had to enable FreeView again to watch something on-demand - I hoped it had been fixed...

I cannot agree more with all of the negative comments on here. I am also shocked how some people are defending the issue, I find it quite bizarre??

£1000 I just paid for my TV. Is it the most expensive in the world, ok no (its expensive enough though right?), could I now be sat in front of a Samsung for the same price that fulfills my requirements properly instead... Yes, I think I could! Am I and many other people on this thread frustated... YES!!! I would think that is understandable?

I dont particularly care whose fault it is and who hasnt got a license for what and blah blah, simple fact is the TV doesnt work as advertised. I am sure someone cleverer than me will try to shoot this down but its true. You look through the information to hand when picking a TV, and the Sony advertised Android TV (which I am also unimpressed with - but heh you pays your money...), YouView, Catchup TV, Freeview, Satellite Channels, ability to record etc etc. There was no mention of, oh but if you enable YouView (which I have found pretty awful as well) it will delete your Satellite channels AND stop you recording. How can you possibly know that until you switch it on. I know now obviously, so will remember to ask that very specific question next time I'm in Curry's buying a TV (they also recommended by the way) and I am sure they will think I am mad!! I am sorry but this is definitely not something you could know until you have bought, and USED the TV for a month - and cant send back!

I had a Samsung before this that was getting a bit old and it did EVERYTHING we were expecting from the above, it had a TV guide (on FreeView), it allowed you to record, it had Catchup TV. The downside was it was getting a bit small, i am sure they shrink over time, so I upgraded with a more expensive model by comparison from late 2016 and I am now on a forum complaining about it insead of enjoying it...

The simple fact is, the TV has a bunch of features, all of which I wanted. If I could of predicted I can only use some of them (when I want to) I may have reconsidered.

I will pre-empt anyone saying "this is how it was designed" by saying "its a bad design then!"

oh, one last point while I have you.. I agree with earlier comment about marking this as "Resoved". This annoyed me to  as I am only on here because I thought there was an actual fix to the problem - clearly not, so thanks for wasting my time as well whomever that was

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jhunter619

No one is going to attack you for voicing your opinion - which is well written by the way and I agree on many of your points raised.

After re-reading this thread, I have un-marked this as 'solved'  - Obviously the 'solved' is causing confusions of which I agree with you and what @ed3203 said months ago.  The problem is there is no solution for this other than explainations and possible work-arounds to over-come this short fall.  It is true though its as per design.  However its 'as per design' is an excuse for the shortcomings and "bad design"

I dont think anyone is defending this to be honest, other than offering work-arounds.  However i fully agree on what you say - its is a poorly designed implementation of YouView.  All this adds up to a messy and rather difficult to use and understand system.  As well as the fact that many features that one comes to expect on a TV these days are still missing - with no signs of it ever happening. 

At the end of the day, I have YouView disabled now.  I personally like the YouView EPG better, but having it enabled prevents me from using other features that I like/need to use.  I dont use ITV Player/4OD - so its not an issue me me anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Visionman
Explorer

'' "its a bad design then!"

No ones disagreeing with you.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@jhunter619

I wish I could tell you that Sony and YouView are going to get together and resolve these issues, but I cant see that happening, alas 😞

But if the set was missold to you, you can send it back, even after a month.

Just assemble the information that you relied upon when making the purchase, including any promises made by the salesperson if this was face to face,and politely request a return and a refund.

You may get a little pushback, but be firm, and contact the retailer's head office if needs be; there isn't a retailer in the U.K. who doesn't know about the issues with these Sony Android sets, and I am sure they will acquiesce with a weary sigh, especially if you make clear that given a smooth return, you will buy your replacement set from them.