Join now - be part of our community!

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

Itchigo53
Explorer

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

All, installed the update and have now been notified I can record.  Got a usb hdd plugged in but when I press the record button either on live tv or epg for a future programme I have the msg pop up "the button is unavailable in youview mode" ! I've searched and no one else seems to have this error. 

Thanks.

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@NotaSonyFanAnymore wrote:

I wish i had read this before purchasing one of these TVs.  What is the point of YouView on a Sont TV if you cannot pause or record?   any other make of TV at this level with Freeview Play this is standard.  As this thread is 2 years old and this issue is stillnot solved then SONY obviously dont give a damn.  I will be complaining to Sony and pasting on any board that will allow me NOT TO BUY SONY TV WITH YouView installed upon it.    THIS HAS BEEN A WASTE OF MY MONEY COMPLETELY 

So I will start with AMAZON reviews and see how many bad reviews I can give before my anger subsides.

As you have found, reviews are more useful for reading before you buy something, not for posting your bitter regrets after the fact :sob:

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Kayjam
New

I would imagine sales won't really be affected as this is the type of thing you only find out after you get the tv home and are trying to set it up to your own requirements.

Quite infuriating though, and definitely leaves a sour taste...

Sloppy, to say the least... 

profile.country.GB.title
NotaSonyFanAnymore
Explorer

Repeat sales will be effected. I won't buy Sony again for sure

Get Outlook for Android
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Kayjam 

Surely you read the prominent Footnote 15 on the spec for your TV before buying it?

(Hint: Search the page for ‘record’, and you will find it eventually).

(Hint 2: this might not be your actual TV, but it is the same on all of them).

This prominent warning, not available in the actual spec list, but there in the blurb following this, is certainly available to anyone with a powerful magnifying glass, a fine-tooth comb, and a great deal of persistence.

Easy! :tongue_winking:

profile.country.GB.title
kevfeath
Explorer

Genius
May 2016
Re: Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

@scchandler

Unfortunately there is no solution.  ITVHub and All4 are integrated with YouView.  Disabling YouView, you therefore disable ITVHub and All4.  But in order to watch ITVHub and All4, YouView needs to be enabled, which the, but tge consequence is that you loose Sat tuner and HDD Recording.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you could screen mirror it to the TV, in order ro use ITVHub and All4.

-----------------------------------------------

If ITVHub and All4 are integrated with YouView then why do the Android Apps for ITVHub and All4 on every other brand and type of device work without YouView? This isn't a case of YouView being required, this is yet another example of Sony not investing in it's software. At this point I may as well try rooting the TV and putting real Android TV OS on there because Sony have taken it, gutted it and given us some sort of abomination that is no longer Android TV OS. 

Bravia's are just absolutely woeful, the screen quality is just about on par with most midrange rivals but the software is ridiculously poor for prices they charge.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@kevfeath 

Simpler to look up Hoshsadiq on the net, and go from there....
(taps side of nose)

profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

Just switch off "youview" and use the other program guide.  Set the recording.  After the recording has occured; you can switch "youview" back on.

profile.country.GB.title
longjohn8
Explorer

Just switch YouView off and get an Amazon Fire Stick

John
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@longjohn8 

How do you record on an Amazon Firestick?

I’ve put my ear very close to mine, but I still can’t hear a hard disc whirring.

Though maybe there is an SSD in there that I don’t know how to get at....