Join now - be part of our community!

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

Itchigo53
Explorer

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

All, installed the update and have now been notified I can record.  Got a usb hdd plugged in but when I press the record button either on live tv or epg for a future programme I have the msg pop up "the button is unavailable in youview mode" ! I've searched and no one else seems to have this error. 

Thanks.

68 REPLIES 68
Bernard4Rice
Explorer

This issue is still not resolved and it's now January 2018!! Sony wake up!!

profile.country.GB.title
dacharl47
Explorer

Feedback for what it is worth. Just tried out Youview, noticed that I couldn't record, searched the internet and found this thread.  Instantly turned it off again.

profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

I rarely need to use the TV recording system.  I use a Humax Freesat recorder to record up to two channels at the same time.  A 3rd channel can be recorded on my DVD recorder

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Bully for you.

But are you suggesting that the solution, for the less fortunate, is to buy hundreds of pounds-worth of extra equipment? :astonished:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

Normally no need to buy extra equipment.  Just use the same recording device you used before you obtained a Smart TV.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Oh, everyone already has at least an HD-capable recording device, instead of thinking they were going to get one when they bought this TV, without having to switch away from YouView?

Sorry, my mistake.

This limitation is not something that should be a footnote in the small print at the very bottom of the page, though.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

As I said, most people will have had a recording device before aquiring a smart TV.  For those that have only the new TV; most people will not be able to cope with recording just the one channel possible on the TV.  For me at least I find that there are often 2 or 3 programs, that I wish to watch, all on at the same time.  Therefore such a requirement does  means buying extra equipment.

profile.country.GB.title
jhunter619
Explorer

When i started this conversation, I was aware I could of spent MORE money on top of the £1,000 I paid for this TV to have MORE functionality. I do know this - I could also have purchased a different TV!

The issue (that I have long since moved on from but couldn't help reply to your comments..) is it was advertised with 2 features (amongst others) that I wanted. AFTER purchasing I found out I cannot use them at the same time...

Am I missing something here? I was very frustrated by this problem and this (and a few others genuine gripes have cropped up since) have lead me to start looking for a replacement after around 1 year of ownership, very poor

...enjoy your Humax 🙂 recording 1 channel would have been enough for me for the occasional recording - It’s a shame the TV hasn't delivered

profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

Well, lets hope Sony issue an update for you!

You do well (or nether leave the house) as you only need one recording device.  I often go away for 2 - 4 weeks at a time, so I do need 3 0r 4 devices.  Even if I am at home I never watch anything "live" in case I get interupted by phones or personal callers.

profile.country.GB.title
ExpertContributor
Explorer

I just had my TV installed and have experienced this problem. Google pointed me to this thread, and so have promptly disabled Youview.

The TV is now incredibly fast without it. The guide button response time is almost instant, compared to taking, I would say, around five seconds before. I know that might not sound like much written down, but in terms of response time for the most basic of requests, from a local device, it's terrible. A chore to use and a relief when it works better.

Every time I pressed guide, I would sit there waiting, wondering whether it had been registered. So then, I'd press it again, only for it to slowly start loading up. And this affects the response time of the other functions, like home and discover. All are much slower with Youview enabled.

I also prefer the in-built Sony guide: a seamless design with more channels, due less wasted space. Youview may have two week functionality, but I don't need that cryptically advertised across a third of the screen every time I use the basic guide. They should either make the utility more explicit than merely highlighting today’s date, or they integrate it more subtley, for use when needed. It's the kind of thing you usually know you want before you open the guide, and are prepared to invest time fidling around for; it's not something that you need drawn to your attention otherwise.

So I would advise anyone who has purchased one of these TVs to disable Youview and try the inbuilt guide, since it takes less than a minute to re-enable Youview again in settings. This advice is especially for anyone who either, or neither, knows nor cares what Youview is.