Join now - be part of our community!

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

Itchigo53
Explorer

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

All, installed the update and have now been notified I can record.  Got a usb hdd plugged in but when I press the record button either on live tv or epg for a future programme I have the msg pop up "the button is unavailable in youview mode" ! I've searched and no one else seems to have this error. 

Thanks.

68 REPLIES 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @SpaceMidget75

Timeshift is a requested feature, but it currently not available whether in YouView mode or not.  

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

Hi, I have a different problem with Sony's pathetic (as usual!) implementation of software - in this case Youview.  Maybe this should be on a new thread as it is a different issue.

I have (unwillingly) been forced to install Youview when I tried to watch some catchup TV - All4 in this instance.

To my horror I then discovered that Sony's Youview had DISABLED my Satellite input!!! An incredible problem, but these pathetic software problems are the norm for Sony.

After several calls to Sony Support this issue is not solvable other than by diabling Youview.  Quite breathtakingly bad.  So I have now disabled Youview, and therefore cannot watch catchup TV.  Sony did not seem to even understand that this was a problem.  YET ANOTHER example of Sony's incredibly poor performance with software and frankly completely unacceptable downgrade in specification for a supposedly "high end" TV.  

DOES ANY MEMBER OUT THERE HAVE A SOLUTION???  Pleaasse

Anonymous
Not applicable

@scchandler

Unfortunately there is no solution.  ITVHub and All4 are integrated with YouView.  Disabling YouView, you therefore disable ITVHub and All4.  But in order to watch ITVHub and All4, YouView needs to be enabled, which the, but tge consequence is that you loose Sat tuner and HDD Recording.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you could screen mirror it to the TV, in order ro use ITVHub and All4.

Not ideal.

Cheers

ed3203
New

Doesn't seem like this has been solved to me. A feature has been removed and replaced with another, disabling youview disables catchup, enabling youview disables recording. Tagging this thread as solved gives the impression that theres a satisfactory resolution to the dev's!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ed3203

Its 'solved' as unfortunately this is how it was designed.  Sony does not have the rights for ITV Player or 4OD, so without YouView (which does have the rights), these two services wouldnt be available at all.  And this will not change unfortunately.  Sorry

Cheers

ed3203
New

Thanks for such a promt reply!
I could imagine that quite a few confused bravia android tv users will be searching for the answer to this, so an update was welcome.

If that is the case perhaps making it easier to switch in and out of youview would be a good comromise, like pressing the blue button. But I guess that would require complex negotiations between sony and youview!
I guess we're dependent on youview kindly enabling record for bravia android youview!

profile.country.GB.title
scchandler
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for the replies but there is still no excuse for the fact that Satellite TV is DISABLED by installing the utterly useless YouView app;ication - does anyone know how to get around this huge and unacceptable issue?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ed3203 - That is exactly what I have been pushing for - Recording via YouView.  Not getting anywhere fast on this im afraid, but would certainly help for 'user experience' wise.  For example, disabling YouView for HDD recording is simply too complicated for my Dad.  Hence TV stays on YouView and any shows missed, he relies on the catchup players - if show is available that is.

@scchandler - I agree with you, the disabling of satellite services is remarkable.  I do not know the exact reason for this, but could only guess of a software conflict of having two totally different EPGs running.  But I would have thought this could be resolved...  Im hoping that many of the bugs to do with satellite will be resolved at some point with the upcoming Marshmallow release.  Will this fix it, who knows.  Again, there is no work around.

Hi just want to add my comments. I bought my Sony Bravia because I thought a) Sony = good b) Android = flexible and Smart c) Freeview Arial AND Satellite - fantastic.

What a let down. I am soooo disapointed As others have said You need Youview enabled to use ITV and Ch4 catchup but, this disables recording AND Satellite. Disable Youview and you get recording (after a fashion).

But, Time shift doesn't work ! I mean recording doesn't work properly, timeshift doesn't work NO satellite connection and some catchup disabled.

Also I live in Scotland - my TV works out my postcode - how clever ! but, then doesn't allow me to get catchup on ITV1 - oh no  - I need to install the STV Player to get that - but, guess what ? NOT Available YET on SONY (if ever!) I can get STV Live on Youview and Freeview though but, wait ! that's right, Enable Youview and disable all of the above!

So my 'solution/workaround' is a) disable Youview b) use either Aerial or Satellite or both c) Connect up a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick

This set up allows me to record and the TV stick lets me get Catchup on ITV1 and Ch4. I also get Netflix and Amazon Video. So basically I don't NEED the Smart TV features as I get them through the TV stick for the princely sum of £30!

I also have a Samsung Smart TV and a Polaroid Smart TV. The Samsung is the best but, not perfect, The Polaroid is cheap and cheerfull but, not very smart can ONly get BBC IPlayer NOT ITV !! I mean what ?

My advice FORGET buying ANY SMART TV - spend a bit more on a good quality NORMAL TV and buy a Roku stick or box (Amazon ware good as well) I can get ITV1 catchup from that as well as Amazon Prime and Netflix - only cost me £30. Okay so youi have to switch between TV and HDMI but, that's easier than switch Youview on and off.

maybe sometime SONY will get their act together .......

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi @Baldyfatgit

I share your pain 🙂

Not having the satellite issue to deal with, and recording on a full YouView box anyway, I run the TV in YouView mode, and I have added a NowTV box to my armoury, which means I can do pretty much anything I need to.

The only problem with your prescription of not buying a Smart TV is that all the decent ones are smart anyway, and the dumb ones sit down the cheap end, and I wanted the better picture quality that comes with the higher-end sets,

But yes, absolutely, ignore what the sets do and don't do 'smart'- which as we have seen, the app makers can pull anyway, once they get bored of supporting older sets - and get a stick or two with the smarts you want in.

We love the Fire Stick, not least because it uses CEC to switch the TV to its desired HDMI port automagically, but it does not have NowTV, and its All4 is catchup only, no live.

Currently, we are waiting for the revised 3600 Roku Stick to hit the UK, which should be the One Stick To Bind Them All, but the current 3500 will do this, if you can't wait, or the 3600 never comes.

I might also comment here that if you want a seamless Freeview-like satellite experience, then you need a TV that supports the FreeSat EPG for satellite, which these Sony Android sets don't do.

As to why YouView and satellite can't coexist on these sets, my guess is that it's footprint - the required software images for the two are just too big to be on together. Which means one or the other, or both, need to be shrunk, or (for new sets only) more space for them needs to be provided.

This is just a guess though; I have no special insider knowledge:-

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking