Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S185 freezing when BBC iplayer is selected

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
RadiantDuck88
Explorer

BDP-S185 freezing when BBC iplayer is selected

Hi all,

sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I recently bought a BDP-S185 in February 2012 with the attraction of BBC iplayer and lovefilm etc. And its been doing it's job wonderfully until yesterday. I hhave just got back from a two week trip and when i tried to watch iplayer it's caused my Blu-ray player to freeze on the 'wallpaper' (normal blue line bckground thing, but without the menus).

It wont respond and after quite a while will just turn itself off. Everything else works, and I've tried turning it off at the wall and trying again, a factory reset (though I think thats only regarding the settings) and the firmware is up-to-date.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RFCally
Visitor

Try this: In the menu section: goto Internet Browser > Then on the handset, press Options. Then goto Browser Setup > Set Javascript setup to Valid.

This certainly works on the BDP-S590 3D Blu Ray Player. Hope it works for you too.

RFCally

Message was edited by: RFCally

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108
Catmambo
Contributor

Very strange, haven't come acorss this. Is it just with iPlayer or with other services as well? You are comfortably under warranty so maybe take a few snaps of the problem and contact your local service centre who can hopefully sort it out.

Thanks

RadiantDuck88
Explorer

All other services work just fine, its just iplayer.  Will give it a couple of days to see if it sorts itself out and then I'll contact the service centre. Thanks!

who10uk
New

I Cannot Play any BBCi Content on Sony BluRay BDVE380

Most programmes report error 'Not Currently Available'. Those that are available freeze up box when selecting before the programme starts.

This has a wired connection to Sky Broadband router - IP 192.168.*.*   I have updated Firmware and done a full reset as suggested by Sony but problem persists.

I can play ALL other On Demand content without issues - eg Demand 5, Sky News, Eurosport.

I can access Internet pages via the Internet Browser on the player.

Where Play button appears and selected, programme doesn't load - player becomes unresponsive and requires powerdown.

Most programmes Play button doesn't appear - error message appears 'Unfortunately this Programme is not Currently Available. BBC iPlayer was Unable to Connect to a Required Server. Please Check Your Network Connection & Try Again'

Player can access all other Network content and I have rebooted both BluRay and broadband router.

Broadband is Sky - details are IP 192.168.*.*, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.*.*, Primary DNS 192.168.*.*, Proxy Server Not Used

I have raised this with Sky and BBC iPlayer teams as well as Sony but no-one seems to be able to help.

Doubt it's the Broadband as I can use all other services and BBCi Player is fine on my laptop!

sparty29
Visitor

I am having the exact same problem as this as well.

I got my BDP-S185 yesterday and tried it out and all the other network video apps work apart from BBC iplayer. I just have to click on the iplayer and i get the screen with the blue line going across it and it just freeze's then I have to turn it off. The firmware is up to date too.

Does anyone have a answer on how to fix this or is there anyone from Sony who can confirm this is being looked into as this does not seem to be a one off problem?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian.Culver
Visitor

I am having exactly the same issue having also bought in February. I would appreciate anything you have found out and ideally a resoluion as it is the only reason I bought the DVD. Thanks

MrMoMan
Visitor

Yes.  I am having exactly the same problem as RadiantDuck88.  Works fine with Eurosport etc, just won't work with iplayer.  Only started doing this yesterday, after only having it set up for one day when it was working fine with all the Internet content.

Certainly seems it is not a one off problem. 

MrMoMan
Visitor

I am using Tiscali.

When it happens the unit won't respond except it will switch off but won't then switch on again.  I have to unplug and replug the unit.

Catmambo
Contributor

Just as an update, the issue is being looked at by our engineering teams right now as obviously this is an incredibly popular Blu-ray player. I'll update the thread as soon as I have any more news - apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks

MrMoMan
Visitor

Still working.  When will it be fixed or should I just get a refund? Looking around it doesn't appear to be a new problem.

Thanks