Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
haribo411
Explorer

So, I've had my S8005c for 4 days now and everything seemed to be ok aside from the folder view for my HDD is terrible!

Unfortunately last night Netflix stopped working. I've seen some comments on resetting the app, does anyone know how you actaully do this?

Thanks!

UE48JU7000 was £1050 for a long time, prices are up at the moment so they can reduce them in sales. 
This tv is 3d and has freesat epg, not Sony's generic epg. Is also quad core, so there are reasons it is more expensive. 
UE48JU410 also has free view and freesat and free view, but not sure if they work as twin tuners or not.  It's a good bit cheaper at 849

Yeah I get why its more as its a better TV. I really want the ability to record and pause to HDD (twin tuner) and it isnt in any lower Samsung models. That is the reason i bought the Sony, but it doesnt have it either as it turns out! When do you think the sales will kick in?

Unfortunately last night Netflix stopped working. I've seen some comments on resetting the app, does anyone know how you actaully do this?

What is the problem you are seeing? I have had 2 problems since Thursday:

1. The app crashes back to the home screen on launch

2. Netflix error message on launch

I solved them like so:

1. In the Android settings, go to "Apps" and list installed apps. Select Netflix, and select "Force Stop" and "Clear Cache"

2. n the Netflix error messsage, click "More Details" the select "Reset App". This will make you sign in again. It seems to fix it for a day or so, but im getting this error daily and need to perform these steps. 

If all else fails, as a work around I have used the Netfilx app on my iPhone/iPad and then selected to "Cast" to the TV (it should pick up your TV as long as you are on the same network)

elraouk

No idea about the sales.  There are issues with hdd recording on the 7000.  Was advised "Don't buy it if you plan to use it as your main pvr" 
haribo411
Explorer

At first it started Netflix then dropped back to the home screen, then the remotes Netflix buttin stopped working. I'll try what you suggest and clear the cache. 

Hope this is fixed soon. Seems crazy to have a dedicated Netflix button on the remote if it doesn't work well!

Has anyone tried installing Kodi on one of these sets?

profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

I have installed Kodi and it works well.  I think a few others have it working too.

anjenki75

As a general rule the built-in PVR functions of TVs are a bit rubbish, compared to what you get from a "proper" PVR like a Humax. Even the old Humax HDR-T2 could do much more, e.g. with 2 tuners they can record 2 channels while watching either a third channel from the same multiplex, or a recorded episode. They also have very responsive EPGs etc, since it is their core business and it's important for them to be easy and enjoyable to use. Robust series-recording, automatically adjusting to broadcast schedules, trailer booking etc. Humax have just a released a quad-tuner Freeview Play PVR. It may be worth a look if you are considering spending hundreds more on a different TV to get these kinds of features.

Honestly I thought Sony was to be the manufacturer that would finally realise this was a big gap in how their products worked and break the mould - by partnering with a company that has already done this well and has the critical mass of content providers (YouView). I thought it would finally be the chance for me to lose the PVR box from under the TV - the one that I watch all broadcast, multicast and catch-up TV through (I haven't used a TV's built-in tuner in my lounge for over 10 years). Unfortunately the PVR functions are not part of Sony's YouView implementation, and reading between the lines I suspect the hardware is struggling to make the YouView interface work nicely (early YouView boxes were dog-slow too...). Sony's strategy is therefore not distinctly different from the one Panasonic have already adopted for several years (i.e. partnering on Freetime and now Freeview Play), with both manufacturers now also realising that the same principle is true for the OS/"app" functions - best to let someone else worry about designing and maintaining these. The only advantage I can see with the Sony-YouView approach is that it has the content deals with e.g. Sky (Now TV) and, in theory (so customer support tell me) it will support the BT IPTV multicast channels if you have a subscription (BT Sport, AMC, Fox etc). That is interesting since BT themselves seem more interested in selling LG TV's to pair with their 4K Humax box...

anjenki75

@haribo411 Kodi works quite well, it is the only way to play home network media reliably at the moment - crucially, it has its own audio/video sync setting that allows you to correct for the TV's lip sync problems (you can delay the video to get it in sync with the audio). There are a couple of issues with Kodi:

• not all the remote buttons map but I think you might be able to sort that with the keymap editor addon.
  • it can reach max CPU utilisation when playing video (e.g. blu ray rips), if you have been switching between apps you might need to restart the TV to prevent jerky playback
  • it cannot play VC1 content (used by some blu rays)
  • just like all the other apps, it won't switch the refresh rate of the TV to match the video. It's hard to know exactly what's going on though, since it's all internal to the TV rather than HDMI
haberdavid

I have a problems with Kodi:

When i am playing a movie with kodi from a hdd that connected to the usb on the tv it is not playing very well and there is a little stucks.

yeah KODI installed fine. I do get rather jerky video playback though.