Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
byrhinso
Explorer

Does anyone else get sudden flicking of the picture on these TV's that can only be fixed by either changing input then changing it back or turning TV on and off?

Wanting to check before we return the TV - got so fed up of the problem despite the picture quality

MikeLothian

The video app only outputs Dolby Digital in stereo not 5.1

shtira

@alellio01 wrote:

Does anyone else get the feeling these android tv's are more trouble than there worth.

I'm having to reboot mine every day, just to be able to watch it.

Yes me.

I had an LG 47"

Bought Sony KD-55X8507C

Now i'm missing all the preview functions of the current and neighbouring chanels including NOW ana NEXT.

And

Sony can not record to HDD even after the upgrade !!!

shtira

I have the same as No.2)  on KD-55X8507C

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

profile.country.GB.title
pjxr70
Explorer

I really do think the tvs will improve with the next update, I also think the tvs should not have been released until the operating system was better. I can live with missing feature's but not the bad operating system.

I have now purchased an nvidia shield android tv box it's small enough to fit inside the tv!.

It mirrors the tvs ui but is very smooth and fast!!!!. The shield is fantastic it plays games in 4k and produces the best 4k youtube image I have ever seen the picture is spellbinding!. If this little device was built into the tv it would be the best sony tv around.

Switching back to the Sonys own ui feels awful slow and glitchy until I reboot. The thing is for the money you will not  find a better picture.

I've got problems with Netflix. I have to reset the app everyday. Also iplayer is soooo laggy it's unusable. I ended up using the iPad and chromecast to watch the f1 today

So my conclusion is that to get an equivalent Samsung, (with twin tuner) i would need to go up to the 7000 series. That is £1200 for the 48" version compared to the £850 i paid for the Sony. I will also need to add an Android TV box to get KODI.

Frustrated!!!!

I think I’ll be going back to my 5 year old dumb LG plasma until this whole situation sorts itself out. I can’t wait until the 24th of December to see if the twin tuner is up to scratch as my 90 days will be up.

elraouk

UE48JU7000 was £1050 for a long time, prices are up at the moment so they can reduce them in sales. 
This tv is 3d and has freesat epg, not Sony's generic epg. Is also quad core, so there are reasons it is more expensive. 
UE48JU410 also has free view and freesat and free view, but not sure if they work as twin tuners or not.  It's a good bit cheaper at 849
profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

JL coming at the end of the week to take my 49x8307c back, fed up now.................

elraouk

Just had an email from Sony to say my refund is due in my account by Thursday. 
Torn between waiting to see how these work post firmware update and going with a Samsung.