Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

I have seen the 'sign in' dialogue a couple of times, but my main issue with Netflix is the horrendous lip sync of about half a second, both on the TV sound and over HDMI to the HT-XT1

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

So you don't reccomend the HT-XT1:smileybomb:

I'm glad you said that, as I was just about to order one. I brought the RMF-TX100E Remote to use it's NFC Screen Mirroring with my iPad and iPhone only to find it does not work with them even though it states it does in the manual. As Apple have not activated the NFC Chip in any of their devices appart from using it in Apple Pay.

I'm glad i Found that out as I was just about to buy an iPhone 6S as it has the latest NFC Chip inside which by looking at teardown they have not updated in over 4 years....:smileyrainbow:

Unbelivable.....:smileymrgreen:

So now I'm off to find a good Android Phone or Windows Phone, but I will make sure I get one which is unlocked and comes with something of value such as software for my PC incase I dont get to grips with it, I can just eBay it and atleast retain some value from it's inital purchase.:smileyinfo:

Kind regards

Richard

cozzykim

Actually, I like the HT-XT1 enough to have bought two. It's subjective sound quality is better than I was expecting from some of the unenthusiastic reviews, it's well built, has plenty of flexibility in the sound and menus, and it looks really good under the TV, as it doesn't just sit in front of it like a sound bar.

I'm hoping that the sync issues will be sorted with coming firmware updates to the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @cozzykim

From my understanding, the audio/lip sync issue should be resolved at next FW release shortly.

A good way to be informed of update notifications is to use the Sony Support app for your mobile phone/tablet available from usual places (i.e. Play store). Simply add your devices to the app and any news or updated support will 'push' the notification to you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.sony.support&hl=en_GB

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

My X8305C improved again today and even has an icon for my ps4 now instead of just a custom name

the manual says 3840 x 2160, 67.4 kHz/30 Hz (4K models only) is the max i can have from my pc but the specs say hdmi 2/3 are hdmi 2.0 and can do 4096 X 2160/24P.

i will have to wait though,as my pc can only go as far as hdmi 1.4c

really like the displat especially when you use the optional remotes voice control

still havent had the bravia sync working though

and there a new hdxtx3 box now that goes under it

but yep im tempted by the recent es amp that sony have too, especially when their hdmi 2.0

,y big question to find a he answer too this week is how to get it set up with wireless display. The intel compute stick and the microsoft wireless hdmi adaptor both have issues at 4k so if anybody can get that working let me know how. Theres the bebo that does 4k wireless hdmi 1.4c, but im after a 2.0.....

kind regards

richard

ps, having plex on it and having my own 4TB sever is great as a film i did in 4k 2.0 came out at around 722GB.

I managed to sort netflix. It was just giving an error message. I had to "reset Netflix" by clicking more details on the error message. Strange. It was working on my chromecast, but it may have been a wider Netflix issue looking at the down detector https://downdetector.co.uk/problems/netflix

profile.country.IE.title
EggDublin

Below I have compiled a list of the worst of the issues I am seeing on my KD-55X8509C. There are other issues that I can live with but for a TV of this price to be shipped with this many serious problems is a pretty bad show.

I have had it for three weeks and I think it's going back for a refund. Shame.

• Will not play Netflix 4K pictures on some titles-just black or distorted.
  • Takes up to 15 seconds on TV to respond to changing satellite channel.
  • Can take up to 15 secs to change from home menu to TV
  • In settings menu it sometimes hangs or crashes and needs reboot.
  • TV slows down over the course of a few hours on and needs a reboot.
  • Sync is out on most sources. Very bad on some
  • Problems playing back 720p without stuttering-works fine on other Sony TVs.
  • Cannot adjust picture settings on Netflix
  • No HDR
  • Stuttering on 4K sources.
  • Sometimes response time on power on/off can be 6-8 secs
  • HDD recording was advertised but not available at this point
  • TV Guide does not update and sometimes does not display
  • Various missing features that were advertised but not present such as picture in picture and twin tuner
  • Audio from Tuner sometimes plays at the same time as Netflix or Streaming video and TV needs to be re-booted to fix.
  • Backlight is patchy on dark scenes.
  • No Catchup services
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Hello their good kind sir, your post is by far the best here in this thread. I do like the way you've taken time to seek help, and ofcourse your use of bullets. Marvellous 

Will not play Netflix 4K pictures on some titles-just black or distorted.

Netflix has issues on any system, but many of my friends, don't like the way its got its own button on the remote, they feel as if its shameless advertising. But i did some digging for you and your issue maybe related to the remote rendering function. Check your settings and make sure its on. And also get a good cat6 cable to your TV. I have spent days looking at different wireless display adaptors, none can do 2.0 4k like we have built in yet, thus I wouldn't think it would work via wifi. :sun:

Takes up to 15 seconds on TV to respond to changing satellite channel.

Are you using a multi cam? Because if you are you have to give the dish time to move to the next satellite. Yet again make sure your LBN's are clean, and also use a good cable as a precaution. I will look into this for you,but yet again also check your settings for satellite, there maybe something in their that will sort it out for you.:smileyinfo:

Can take up to 15 secs to change from home menu to TV

Ah, do you have a PSN account? This one needs to be understood more as they won't tell you much, and even me trying have issues. Make sure you've activated the tv's enhanced features, and go to yourmysony.com and register and add the device to your account. This will begin the silent updates, and also many other system validation checks.:smileyplus:

In settings menu it sometimes hangs or crashes and needs reboot.

Make sure that your android OS is upto date, and give it time to update all of its system tiles, once they have all disappeared, give it a hard reset and make sure you have everything connected because when you turn it on (give it 5 mins though to discharge the ram) it does its port scan, and as of yet you cant change ports mid use. You can only change hdmi's ect around when you do the hard reset mentioned above. But with your Android OS and system apps fully updated and freshly installed, it can change the channels and HDMI's in seconds. (2-3)

TV slows down over the course of a few hours on and needs a reboot.

Ok well that is a serious concern. Document your build number from the settings, and follow my advice above especially with the enhanced features being turned on and this should'nt happen hence forth.

Sync is out on most sources. Very bad on some

Make sure your HDMI cable is 2.0.....

Use a HDMI 2.0 cable it has Ethernet, 3D and what your missing the arc channel perhaps. An arc channel equipped HDMI cable and apparently a newer firmware to be released soon will address this issue.

Or get an es sony av amp and have that do it for you..

i was looking at the HT-XT3 today for 400 dollars on import but that's the flagship at present, the XT1 is old now, perhaps there's a firmware update for that.

Problems playing back 720p without stuttering-works fine on other Sony TVs.

Ok, why are you playing 720p anyway? I would rather that though than i. Don't do i, if for some reason you play a 720 interlaced file/film your warranty and I think guarantee go out the window. The manual warns in bold never to use an interlaced signal, but id still worry about an interlaced file/film/video being displayed....

Cannot adjust picture settings on Netflix

Ok thats Netflix fir you? Tried it years ago, and found Lovefilm much better. And i have my own 4tb home sever using plex now on all my devices where ever i am in the world. I have a vpn too so I can watch netflix USA only shows too, but unless I have American friends in the chat party with me, its meh....

No HDR

There is, you've got the bravia sync function working correctly? Mine lets me. Make sure you have hd p and hdmi link activated on your hdmi 2.0 cable linked device and 4k pictures (HDR) shouldn't be an issue.

mine even gives me an icon now for my PlayStation 4. I can just pick up the remote, press the talk button and google can turn my ps4 and even allow me to navigate the menus to my favourite game. The voice control manual for the ps4 is the same as googles for our tv, so after a quick read of the commands youll wander how you did without it before:smileyhi:

Stuttering on 4K sources.

check your cable (hdmi 2.0 certified?) are you outputting 3000 sumthing or are you outputting the magic 4000 sumthing resolution?

Sometimes response time on power on/off can be 6-8 secs

i use a belkin pf40 as my filter, this would help

HDD recording was advertised but not available at this point

yep, waiting on a firmware for this, :thinking:
TV Guide does not update and sometimes does not display

use TVsideView app, its very very good. And while your at the app store see if there's a imediashare their and grab them as they are made for this tv and sonys apps

Various missing features that were advertised but not present such as picture in picture and twin tuner
Audio from Tuner sometimes plays at the same time as Netflix or Streaming video and TV needs to be re-booted to fix.
Backlight is patchy on dark scenes.
No Catchup services

One word, Plex, 

you even get a lifetime version for 3.99! Bundled in with this tv, so make sure you get it. Its £30 a month otherwise...silly not to use it. 

And there's no eta on when this firmware is out other than soon.:smileyshhh:

hope this helps, ive only had the tv/display for a month and once youve got it all on, like screen mirroring and miracast, its really really good.:smileytongue:

i remember stayingup late and reading reviews on whathifi when this one was fresh, it where £3000 sumthing.:smileyinfo:

have you seen the size of the original X1 processor? It was about the size of the tv! How the devil they srunk it down to just a chip, a single chip, is staggering.

this tv is the base model now in the series that features a full X1 processor and hdmi 2.0 4k (an extra 30fps at 24p 4k) either way if you do take it back, i wish good karma comes too you:smileyplus:

kind regards:smileyrainbow:

richard

Holdski

Has anyone come across this glitch yet? 

If I'm watching TV and go to view you tube,  the TV sound plays at the same time as the you tube sound! 

I have a 65-W855C

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@EggDublin

Sent you a PM. Check your inbox!