Join now - be part of our community!

security patch

SOLVED
mtmtppp
Visitor

security patch

Does anyone know whether does SONY provide the security patch to this device every month or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inchka
Visitor

Not every month, but I had one today, 53.0.A.4.114

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Inchka
Visitor

AndyCalling
Visitor

@Inchka wrote:

Not every month?! Sounds a bit risky re. security patches. Microsoft send those out to my Lumia every month even now, 3 or 4 years after release, for an OS they've totally dropped. I do hope you are wrong about those for a brand new phone line just after release. It does sound unlikely in this day and age that a company like Sony would be that lax about customers' security.

mtmtppp
Visitor

Almost manufacturer don't provide the security patch every month.

SONY provides the patch to the flagship devices such as XZ series every month.

AndyCalling
Visitor

@Masatack wrote:

Almost manufacturer don't provide the security patch every month.

SONY provides the patch to the flagship devices such as XZ series every month.

I don't think comparing Sony to the load of Chinese flog it and flee manufacturers is sensible. I doubt they do so themselves, and I'm certain their customers expect a bit more than that. Hence the Sony premium on their prices. Anyway, why would Sony flagship devices need more security patches than their other phones? Are they less secure than their other devices? This is sounding stranger and stranger. Something is not adding up here.

mtmtppp
Visitor

I think you are misrecognise about Android OS. 

AndyCalling
Visitor

I am new to all this Android stuff. I know support can be patchy but I heard that Sony were particularly good at providing support and updates. Still no word on the crackling audio bug we all seem to have, and now rumors about poor update support, well I'm still hoping Sony will pull it around. We may find that they have things in hand and will be all over getting things fixed and updated soon. Sony's mobile division needs all the word of mouth promotion it can get right now and will be looking to impress their new 21:9 lured customers.

Marius412
Visitor

According to my experience,they don't provide patch every month to mid-range devices.They usually provide a patch each 2-3 months 

AndyCalling
Visitor

@Marius412 wrote:

According to my experience,they don't provide patch every month to mid-range devices.They usually provide a patch each 2-3 months 

Interestingly, from Android Q onwards (the next Android) Google will provide security and OS patches directly (not major revisions though). Sony have confirmed that all midrange devices will get major OS updates for 2 years so long as they don't negatively impact performance (unlikely to be an issue given the nature of the updates in Android Q) so this should all be solved in the coming months.

Not before time either. So Sony currently allow a 2-3 month gap after security issues have been made so public that a patch is available. Do they have any clue as to the damage that can be done to customers by the black hats given 2-3 months and all the info they need? This is a crazy risk in modern times and I'm really surprised. Holding back features for the expensive devices may be, but holding back security patches to punish people for not buying devices knocking on 4 figures is really cold.