Join now - be part of our community!

What sort of release is this, why can I only find the tablet in a couple of stores?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
smellyonion
New

What sort of release is this, why can I only find the tablet in a couple of stores?

I dont get it, pretty much the only places that seem to sell it are the currys group (inc pc word and dixons), sony store and john lewis. Why are they not in other stores like play.com, amazon, argos etc?

I like the tablet but the lack of distribution really puts me off as it seems as though it is going to fail as the xoom, eepad or galaxy I can buy anywhere.

I have been cheking daily to find it in more stores but have failed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi smellyonion,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I guess once demand isn't as high as it is currently then more outlets will start selling the Tablet..

At a guess, I expect companies like Amazon, Play.com, Argos, etc want to buy the Tablet in bulk, so as to have adequate supply for their customers, however as the tablet is newly released Sony are making sure that current stock is available to sell to customers rather than sitting in a companies warehouse somewhere..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi smellyonion,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I guess once demand isn't as high as it is currently then more outlets will start selling the Tablet..

At a guess, I expect companies like Amazon, Play.com, Argos, etc want to buy the Tablet in bulk, so as to have adequate supply for their customers, however as the tablet is newly released Sony are making sure that current stock is available to sell to customers rather than sitting in a companies warehouse somewhere..

smellyonion
New

Last week I went inside the sony store in wimbledon and the literally had like 30 tablets out on display in a shop which is dead most of the time, overkill much?

Do you know a rough estimate on when the tablet will hit more stores?

As currently there seems to a lack of competition as they are price fixing. I would also like to know how well it is selling as I am sceptical ever since the touchpad fire sale and dot want to plough my money into something that will drop price like crazy or be unsurported.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

Sony Centres are indepedently owned & are therefore responsible for stock levels & prices..

I noticed in one of the Teco's magazines that they will be stocking the Tablet didn't give a definate date though but may be worth checking this out..

As to how well the tablet is selling we now as much as you on do, but they had sold out in my local store..

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

To be honest, Sony are not the only company who have done this. It is a good way to see what kind of demands they will see and also how quickly items are sold. I have a feeling companies like Amazon may be quite upset since they tend to shift a lot of stock. Apple did exactly the same with the iPad since it is a new product and may not sell as well as they expect.I remember walking into a retail park when they launched after the whole craze died down and went into Comet who had none even on display. I asked them and met by a sad face to report that Apple are giving the sales to one store per business park/shopping complex.

I can only hazard a guess that we may see more stores selling them on the run up to Christmas since it is a prime opportunity to sell as the P would have been launched by then also alongside hopefully all accessories.