Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working

SOLVED
macgers77
New

Netflix not working

I have just purchased a new Sony KDL-46W905A today.  I cannot get the Netflix app to connect.  I click on app and it gives me error NW4-8.  I have been in contact with Netflix and they can't even sort it.  Internet is fine - just can't connect to Netflix servers.  Has anyone any ideas it's driving me nuts

178 REPLIES 178
profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

Sure Ive tried that but will try again tonight
profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

Just had a twitter notif from WhatHiFi

@j_a_griffiths @chris18117 We have asked @SonyUK for an update and will let you know.

Maybe they will get somewhere

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi all

I just wondered if any of you have tried using Chromecast as a temporary solution to be able to watch Netflix while you're waiting for Netflix / Sony to give you some more info?

Its not ideal but for £30 it may save you being fed up / returning otherwise fantastic Television sets. :cool:

Have a look Here

profile.country.GB.title
bw444976

Nope, didnt pay a fortune for a Sony TV to have to buy a 3rd Party piece of
hardware to get the functionality which was one of the main selling points.
With Chromecast I could have just kept my old samsung
profile.country.GB.title
Filding
Explorer

I  tried use chromecast 2-3 weeks ago. Looks like chromecast is using sony netflix app. Same error. Maybe if we uninstall netflix from tv and then....  I sold chromecast after that as I couldn't use it.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@bw444976 I can certainly understand that. I only offered a potential solution for those in desperate need of Netflix.

It could be argued that if people cannot live without Netflix then what is another £30 compared to the probable thousands they have spent. (Especially if no solution is coming soon.)  I certainly wouldn't dare to argue that here though  :yahoo:

Also my advice to everyone is if you're not happy with state of the art  Television sets just because they can't play Netflix then why not just take them back? (Or I'll swap you my old set that does work with Chromecast and I can have a nice new shiny one.) I'm joking of course but it doesn't look like there will be a solution coming any time soon. (This thread started 2 months ago)

@Filding Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if anyone else has tried Chromecast and found problems with it?

It would be great if they could let us know here so at least some people may have a temporary solution.

chris181174

Whathifi messaged me today as well they have contacted sony and are waiting for a reply maybe they might get an update unlike the people who bought the TV !! I spoke to a sony rep in the shop on Saturday he said there isn't any answers at the min but they do know about the problem and has he has been told not to mention it when selling the tv's lol
DiKing
Explorer

Hi All,

I have tried chromecast for the temp fix and it works without a hitch.  You have to follow install instructions to the letter (or at least I did) and as I have a BT hub 3 I had to go into the settings of my home router and change the channel (to 11 or higher it says) and all works with netflix like a charm and use my iphone/ipad to sync/control it like a remote control.

Still haven't figured out the morroring from devices yet but one thing at a time.  Otherwise apart from agreeing with everyone about they def need to get it right... this has taken some of the sting out so I can enjoy netflix until sony can sort it.  Otherwise v happy with tv, if slightly miffed with time spent on resoloving the netflix issue!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@DiKing Thanks for the info!

Again its not a perfect solution but it just may help someone :slight_smile:

peter.carey
Explorer

I also recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-46W905A from John Lewis. Netflix fails with error NW4-8 I have an XBox 360 and an Apple iPhone both working with Netflix on the same wireless network. I've raised a ticket with Sony support. They informed me that their technical team are investigating this issue that has been ongoing for over a month. With Sony support asking users the same ridiculous set of questions. So just to avoid Sony support asking the same questions:
Latest Firmware
IP is UK
Reset settings and refreshed Internet content

The issue seems to be when the TV tries to register with Netflix. Either the ESN is not valid or some other issue during the connection. The Netflix site does not recognise my Sony ESN when I enter it at www.netflix.com/activate

Sony engineer needs to talk to Netflix engineer and the problem would be sorted in a day. The Sony support experience is poor.

SONY Support keep your customers informed of the issue affecting KDL-46W905A with Netflix NW4-8. All forums are full of references to this issue and its time Sony got their act together and fix it.

Peter