Join now - be part of our community!

Download straight to SD card?

John1979
Visitor

Download straight to SD card?

Hello everyone
Does anyone know how to make it so that everything I download from the Play Store goes straight to the SD card?
20 REPLIES 20
Samuel1
Hero

As far as I know it's not possible to install/download directly to the SD card. You have to move the apps via settings > apps afterwards.

Thommo
Genius

Sorry to say but this is not possible and is not limited to Sony - Same happens on Samsung and LG

rozix
Visitor

hi, there is something else written in user guide on this website 

• When installing an app, you can choose to install it on either the internal storage or the memory card. If the internal storage is full while the memory card has a lot of available space, it is a good idea to install apps on the memory card.

can someone please double check this as my new xperia is only 800 mb free space ( i have 64 gb sd card in it ) and when im trying to download game i just cant as i have not enough space

thanks

xavinux
Enthusiast

Hi @John1979 @rozix

You can also set with the Android adb, to store apps in the SD Card intead of the internal memory.

You should have ADB installed, the SDK up to date, and the USB debugging turned on from your device on the Developer Options.
Then plug your Xperia to your computer and from a command prompt (you'll probably have to be in the folder where adb.exe is,

most likely something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe) run this command:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2 (where 0 represents the internal storage and 2 represents the SD Card storage).

To clear warnings about the available memory space on your device you can run:

adb shell pm hide com.sonymobile.storagechecker

I hope can be useful.

Best Regards,

oiwalter
Visitor

how do i transfer to sd card?

xavinux
Enthusiast

Hi @oiwalter

I should use the File Commander app, you could read about it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobisystems.fileman&hl=es_419

You can also set with the Android adb, to store apps in the SD Card intead of the internal memory.

You should have ADB installed, the SDK up to date, and the USB debugging turned on from your device on the Developer Options. Then plug your Xperia to your computer and from a command prompt (you'll probably have to be in the folder where adb.exe is, most likely something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe) run this command:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2 (where 0 represents the internal storage and 2 represents the SD Card storage).

To clear warnings about the available memory space on your device you can run:

adb shell pm hide com.sonymobile.storagechecker

I hope can be useful.

Best Regards,

rozix
Visitor

Hi Xavinux. I was trying to do it since last three days. Maybe im an idiot Slightly_smiling_Face but my adb cant see the phone. Maybe i downloaded wrong adb and sdk. Can u please send link of those two. Many thanks
xavinux
Enthusiast

Hi @rozix

You're welcome.

Check this link about ADB installer:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118

You can also take a look on how to install Google USB Driver in SDK to let ADB see your Xperia device here: 

http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/usbdebug/manualinstall.php

I hope can be useful.

I'm at disposal for any question.

Best Regards,

Traccceur
Visitor

I also have the M4 Aqua and it is crucial for me to get my apps directly installed to SD, cause right now I can't use any app over like 500mb or so. Anyway, I just tried the ADB thing and I'm getting this error: Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Package android does not belong to 2000

And I also read from the Sony website that it is possible to change download location to SD card, so am I doing something wrong or?