Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
Chaudax
Explorer

Hi the HDMI option has three inputs 1) setting = enable or disable 2) video = auto, colour 1, 2 or 3 3) audio = auto, digital or analogue.
nikkakog

1=enable,2=auto,3=digital ,you did that ,

I dont know check the 1040 manual for the hdmi passthrough settings ,maybe we miss something

Chaudax
Explorer

I checked the manual it says the Auto option for passthrough is recommended with sony tv's. There is no On option - it says this is only available for the Australian models. I have OFF OR AUTO. It says for ON the receiver continuously outputs signals from the amps HDMI jack. I dont think this should make any difference but I dont know?? Sony support seemed to think it was important but i kept telling them I dont have a ON option.
nikkakog

My Str-Dh820 had the On option , cannot help more, maybe you can exchange it for something else lighter, 1040 is a monster
Good luck
Chaudax
Explorer

Hi I think I might have found the problem. As a last resort I hooked up the amp to my sons LG TV which is only a year old and I found out it has a HDMI ARC connection. The passthrough then worked fine when I switched off the amp. Looks like my pioneer TV is not able to support the passthrough because the settings don't allow it and/or the HDMI inputs are a bit dated and no ARC function. Probably looking to change my TV sometime this year anyway.
nikkakog

That makes sense, glad to read, so old TV its not HDMI passthrough compatible haha, i remember this from Sony rep's conversation
HalloweenMan
Explorer

I have a str-dh540 with exactly the same issue...
It appears to be a common fault

Can Sony comment on this issue ?
Chaudax
Explorer

I only managed to get the pass through working with my son's LG TV which is quite New. It has a HDMI ARC connection which I think is required. HDMI cable goes from this to the amp HDMI ARC. I could not get it to work with my Pioneer TV which is about 8.years old after mucking about with it for ages. I think the HDMI connections on older Tv's might not be compatible with this pass through application. Make sure under HDMI in the settings menu you have the pass through set to ON. Maybe AUTO depending on your amp. I am still going to contact SONY and ask them about this annoying problem. Does your TV have a ARC HDMI input?
HalloweenMan
Explorer

HDMI ARC is not a requirement for HDMI pass through in stand by mode.
Sony do not document such a requirement.
The Audio Return Channel enables a TV, to send audio data “upstream” to an A/V receiver , and has nothing to do with HDMI pass through in stand by mode.

After all -the receiver passes through the signal for 30 seconds and then switches off ... Sounds like a bug?

Sony need to comment on this issue.
Chaudax
Explorer

Well I will have to ask SONY. The pass through worked fine on my son's newer LG TV. I still think ny older Pioneer TV(8 years) is not compatible. Some forums talk about enabling HDMI control on the Tv's etc. But I don't have this option for the Pioneer. Maybe I also have to ask Pioneer? The option is there for the LG TV. In the meantime I have connected my sky box to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. Another HDMI goes to the amp for blu Ray etc. I have an optical connection from the sky box to the amp for dolby digital. Needed this anyway as TV does not have ARC. So I can watch TV as normal but if I want to watch a movie etc. on Sky in 5.1 I can switch the amp on. Seems v complicated but it means amp doesn't have to be on all the time for watching normal TV. I still intend to contact Sony because it could be a fault like you say with the amp.