Join now - be part of our community!

Freeview HD and HT-ST3 Soundbar

SOLVED
dabowes94
Explorer

Freeview HD and HT-ST3 Soundbar

I have recently set up a Bravia W805 TV and the new HT-ST3 soundbar.

On Freeview HD the only audio types I have seen (when I press the info button) have been 2.0 and 2.1.

As the ST3 is a 4.1 system and says it can take a 5.1 input I was expecting to have seen programmes that say they are 5.1

Is this my misunderstanding or have I configured the system incorrectly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dabowes94
Explorer

I've done a little more homework and realised now that the TV is saying that it is sending 5.1 audio to the ST3 soundbar but that the terminology in the info display requires the reader to do a bit of basic maths.

The TV is showing AAC 3/2.1 for programmes that are being broadcast with 5.1 surround sound.

What I failed to realise is that the 3/2 are the components of the 5 in 5.1 audio.

So AAC 3/2.1 is a long winded way of saying 5.1 audio.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Many programs on Freeview HD channels (ie 101, 102 etc) are only broadcast in 2 channel stereo.  The best way to test things is wait until a movie comes on - as quite often these are broadcast in 5.1 surround sound.

As an example, im watching Homes Under the Hammer on BBC1HD right now, and its only broadcasting 2 channel stereo.

Cheers.

dabowes94
Explorer

I still haven't seen anything that explains why on films etc. the TV is showing the audio as 2.1. Indeed, I haven't seen anything about programmes being broadcast as 2.1 on Freeview HD only 2.0 or 5.1

I can only assume that the TV has worked out that the HT-ST3 is less than 5.1 but that it has a subwoofer so is choosing 2.1 over 5.1

Is there any configuration that I've missed that can tell the TV that ST3 soundbar is capable of processing 5.1 audio (admittedly downscaling it to 4.1)?

Alternatively, is the TV saying 2.1 when it actually means 5.1!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As far as I believe - It works this way:

• The info button is displaying the audio channels from the source (ie TV program)
  • The soundbar uses Sonys S-Force Pro Front Surround to automatically convert the audio into 4.1 (Centre R+L, Front R+L, Sub).   Whether this is up-converting or down converting, depends upon the source.

According to the specs, it can handle 2ch/5.1/7.1 via HDMI - which as far as I know means, that it can convert these audio channels to 4.1.

Browsing through the manual, there is very little configuable options - other than sound effects such as Movie, Music, Football etc

If this does not explain things enough, maybe another forum member can assist - or alternatively contact Sony directly : HERE

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Having an HTCT350 (3.1 soundbar) I can only add that there is only one mode that can switch off to stereo output on the soundbar (2.0 CH). All the other mode are managed internally to use all the channels (expect maybe also the music mode that probably doens't use any sorround effect downgrading to 2.1).

dabowes94
Explorer

So, I've done some more research and I don't feel any closer to understanding what's going on.

Additional information:

• The Bluray player is able to playout as 5.1 to the ST3
  • Programmes on Freeview HD that are definitely 5.1 broadcasts are showing as 2.1 on the TV's info display
  • I've tried pretty much every Audio option on the TV and on the ST3 with no effect.

Is anyone using an ST3 soundbar and able to get a freeview HD signal that says that it's outputting 5.1 audio rather than 2.1 audio?

dabowes94
Explorer

I've done a little more homework and realised now that the TV is saying that it is sending 5.1 audio to the ST3 soundbar but that the terminology in the info display requires the reader to do a bit of basic maths.

The TV is showing AAC 3/2.1 for programmes that are being broadcast with 5.1 surround sound.

What I failed to realise is that the 3/2 are the components of the 5 in 5.1 audio.

So AAC 3/2.1 is a long winded way of saying 5.1 audio.