Join now - be part of our community!

All one on surround sound systems

SOLVED
djknight88
Explorer

All one on surround sound systems

Hello.

I have been trying to find a Sony surround sound all in one system to replace my current Sony one, my current one has 3 hdmi in, I would like really to have more than 3 but definitely no less. I can't seem to find any other systems with this, mostly they seem to have only 1 out and none in, can any one point me in the direction of a suitable system if possible.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, what about another way

PS3 > HDMI > TV

PS3 > Opical > HT-SS100

Change output settings accordingly

If it works, would allow you to watch 3D movies on the TV, and output audio via the HT-SS100

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a look at the Bluray Home Cinema systems, and yes they do appear to only have either 0in/1out or 2in/1 out (BDV-N590 and BDV-N7100W).

However some of the soundbars have more HDMI inputs.

I think that if you require more inputs, you might want to consider an AV Receiver or alternatively, if you have a modern TV (with HDMI ARC), you can feed the HDMI inputs into the TV and pass-through the audio via the Home Cinema Systems.

Cheers

djknight88
Explorer

I currently have a 52HX903 and use HT-SS100.

I have no idea if they are able to do that though
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I dont believe Sony do those type of Surround Sound Systems any longer (HT-SS100).  What they do is combine a Bluray player or DVD Player into the mix as well.  Anyway, at the back of your TV, it should resemble this:

ARC.jpg

This is from the manual of your KDL-52HX903 TV.  As you can see, HDMI 1 has the 3 letters ARC (Audio Return Channel).  To confirm this, simply look at the back of your TV, and HDMI 1 should have ARC labeled to.

So you would connect your other devices to your TV (ie PS3 etc) and connect a Home Cinema System to HDMI 1 ARC and output the sound via that (External Audio System on TV)

ARC2.jpg

Product range of Sony's Home Cinema Systems : HERE

Hope that helps anyhow.

Cheers

djknight88
Explorer

The surround sound I currently use is the HT-SS100, one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade was my system doesn't seem to allow 3D through ps3 though it does on Sky TV and I wanted more hdmi's in, got a ps4 now as well and have run out of spaces to get sound through surround rather than tv.

So if I follow those steps, devices plugged into the back of the tv will also output sound through the surround rather than the tv?
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to do this via the HT-SS100 system (not via HDMI though).  If you connect an addition cable (Optical) from the OPT out port on your TV to the OPT IN (TV) port on the HT-SS100 

Then test it by connecting the PS3 to the TV via HDMI - then set the TV speakers to output to Audio System.

Also it might be best to turn on Bravia Sync (if its not on already)

See Page 16,45,47 of the manual : HERE

Cheers

djknight88
Explorer

Thank you ever so much for your help, I will try this. I'll have to buy a optical cable from somewhere.
djknight88
Explorer

I bought a optical cable and have setup it, I have sound now through devices plugged into tv, so thanks ever so much for that. But I only seem to get 2.0, perhaps I am doing something wrong.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ensure the devices audio settings are set as 5.1 output. As well as ensuring that the media is multichannel 5.1 as well (if watching SD tv, it will be 2.0, and even many HD channels on Freeview)

Also try pressing the [Theatre] button on the remote control.

If this doesnt work, can you please describe how its all connected now, as in, what devices are connected to what.

Cheers

djknight88
Explorer

I have ps3 plugged into tv with the optical cable plugged into the tv in op out and then in AV receiver in op in.

I have changed settings on ps3 for all 5.1 sounds, but still on games and blu rays it says 2.0 I don't even get the centre speaker on.

When pressing theatre mod the colours look different and I then get 2.1 with the centre on but hat is all.