Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55X9005C constantly cycles on then off after about 30 seconds.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Northumborman
Explorer

KD-55X9005C constantly cycles on then off after about 30 seconds.

Hello.

I wonder if anyone knows what causes the tv to constantly cycle through on/off? I had a problem yesterday when the screen wouldn't come on, although the illumination light was on. Today, it came on but it was as if the brightness and contrast settings were on max - I did a factory reset, but this didn't help.

I tried putting in a DVD, but the picture was the same.

Then I did the self diagnostics check, which was fine - good picture and sound.

I then saw an item on the troubleshooting screen which suggested a 'hard' reset by pressing the remote power button for about 5 seconds, after which the tv would shut down and automatically restart. Well, it did shut down, then the Sony logo came onscreen, the illuminaion light came on and after 30 seconds, no picture, the set switched off and back on again a few seconds later and repeated constantly.

The set is just over 2 years old and I'm hoping there may be some sort of reset thing I can do without having to call in a repair man.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Northumborman
Explorer

Problem solved: didn't realise we had taken out the 5 year extended warranty! Still disappointed that a £1300 item only lasts 2 years before becoming faulty.

Northumborman

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Northumborman,

It could be that the issue is related to a failing component on the main board and so not related to the TV software. But we need to find if that is true.

Try disconnecting absolutely everything from the TV (USB devices, Bluetooth headphones, HDMI cables, Network cable, Aerial cable, IR repeaters, etc.) just have the mains connected to the TV. Then execute a Factory Data Reset again using the instructions here. When the TV finishes the process you will receive the Welcome screen asking you to start  the Setup. Can you leave it on that screen and see if it starts restarting itself?

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Northumborman
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I can't get into the home screen. I've disconnected everything except the mains, but when I switch on, the Sony logo comes up, the illuminator light comes on for around 30 seconds then the set switches off and back on again. I've tried pressing the Home key while the light is on, but it has no effect.

Northumborman

profile.country.GB.title
Northumborman
Explorer

Problem solved: didn't realise we had taken out the 5 year extended warranty! Still disappointed that a £1300 item only lasts 2 years before becoming faulty.

Northumborman