Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Atmos on Google Play Movies and on Sony KD55LX7005

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Dolby Atmos on Google Play Movies and on Sony KD55LX7005

Hi, does anyone know if Google Play Movies streams with Dolby Atmos (if the specific movie has it) and will my Sony KD55KX7005 output Dolby Atmos audio via the optical out?

Thanks

Regards

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

Not via the optical out, that will output Dolby Digital and DTS but not DTS-HD etc. For the uncompressed audio outputs the feed must be via HDMI (ARC). Unfortunately I can't get ARC to work as the sound cuts out every couple of seconds, so I have to use optical.

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi TWLeebo,

thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go although I have had trouble in the past with my ARC channel not displaying my Pioneer receiver set up page. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just be aware that you need an external audio system that is capable of decoding Dolby Atmos. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Thanks Quinnicus. Yes my receiver is Dolby Atmos enabled and I have Dolby Atmos enabled high speakers.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I don't think you will get Atmos out of the TV in any case. HDMI-ARC is limited to S/PDIF formats. The TV has HDMI inputs, no outputs. In order to pass HD audio and stuff, you need respective outputs. So you will most probably need a Chromecast (Ultra) or some other box.

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi Quinnicus,

Can you moderate on this please and get a definitive answer from your contacts in Sony. I've had advice that Dolby Atmos audio will come through the ARC channel on my TV and advice that it won't.

Thanks

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You are probably referring to my post last night, which I posted here in error (I didnt read the question properly, and deleted my post to 'hopefully' prevent confusion).  But relised that if you are subscribed to this topic you would get an auto-email.

KM above is right.  HDMI-ARC will only support the audio formats that S/PDIF use.  There is a good explaination on:

http://hometheaterreview.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-arc-audio-return-channel/

HDMI-ARC Limitations.jpg

Therefore to get Dolby Atmos and the higher quality audio a device must be connected directly to an audio system capable of decoding it.  Which means streaming content from the inbuilt Google Movies app on the TV - you will not be able to output Dolby Atmos via HDMI-ARC.

I appologise for the confusions :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi,

no problem. Good article. I see that High Definition audio over ARC might be coming. That's good enough for me.

Thank you