Join now - be part of our community!

another unstable Sony TV

profile.country.GB.title
Blanky73
Explorer

another unstable Sony TV

So last May i had to return my 49x8039c to Sony for a mainboard replacement to a known fault related to constant rebooting...done outside of warranty period...hence the known fault

In June I more than doubled any previous cost on a new tv with the 55xg9505 and it now has a similar fault....in that it's useless! great timing...

mainly unresponsive to the remote with the occasional reaction to a press, repeated large blue squares appearing saying cancel / restart, often turning black screen for a couple of seconds, then the power light comes back on and you are back at the same screen, often rebooting completely, unable to turn off using remote, does what it wants

wont make the same mistake again...twice bitten

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Blanky73  ha scritto:

that's right, you don't have the knowledge but I can now confirm the service repair centre informed me they will replace the motherboard

Ah, just for you to be sure about the repairing, let them tell you the part number of the motherboard of your brand new 55xg9505 and the one that is onboard to the 49x8039c so you can track that the very same component was at fault and you may expect to broke another time.

profile.country.GB.title
Blanky73
Explorer

and now the 49" which had its mainboard replaced last year will not turn on and has a red light which flashes 8 times!!! 2 x sony tv's = no working tv

anyone fixed the 8 x red lights without service repair??

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I should not answer since you don't trust me, but 8 flash is the only code that may not need a repair. It has to do with some networking problem and disconnecting from power for few minutes may solve.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

8 flashes of the Red(Standby) Light - https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00032065

profile.country.GB.title
Blanky73
Explorer

Hi,

thanks for send the link however i did find this and tried myself, both options are non responsive, also tried holding down power and volume down whilst plugging tv in

boohoo!

profile.country.GB.title
robert1881
Explorer

Hi,

Sorry to see you're experiencing the same problem I'm currently faced with. Can't find anything online relating to the red light flashing 8 times. I noticed an earlier post on here saying that it is fixable doing the hard reset, but when I try that holding the power and volume - button together, the green light appears after around 60 seconds then nothing. So it definitely isn't always fixable. 

I've come to the community to hopefully get a solution, or some feedback from others who've had this problem already and how Sony have resolved it. All replies greatly appreciated thanks. 

As we're all aware due to the current government guidelines none of the engineers approved by Sony under warranty are working right now, so there is no professional help available. If any engineers are reading this please pass on your advice?

My set is a Bravia KD-49X8309C and 4 years old, luckily a year remaining on warranty. 

My parents have my old CRT Sony, must be 20 or so years old and still going strong, new technology is a pain lol!

profile.country.GB.title
Blanky73
Explorer

hi,

the only solution if reset doesn't work is repair, as it is very likely the mainboard

in my region (UK West Midlands area) the outsourced service company is still working so a driver will collect and an engineer will repair....if they or Sony have the components

i suggest you contact Sony service who will log a case and the repair and service company will contact you to arrange collection

profile.country.GB.title
robert1881
Explorer

Thanks, agree it must be one of the boards internally as any type of reset isn't working. 

I hope it will be a simple repair, because its a great television with a brilliant picture and worked flawlessly up until now. You're lucky to still have the repairs company operating in your region. 

profile.country.GB.title
Blanky73
Explorer

you also have the link that RottenFoxBreath posted above, relates to turning off for a min or two, then hold down the up key on the remote, turn on tv, keeping the up keep pressed, press the power button on the tv until the tv turns on and then follow another process (shown in the link) .... i actually got the tv to turn on eventually after trying this and your process a number of times and it worked, i got into the settings and did a reset which took a few minutes, thought i'd nailed it but only for a few hours before the dreaded red light started again....worth a try tho

profile.country.GB.title
robert1881
Explorer

Thanks for that information, it's good to know that factory reset holding the power and volume down button when plugging back in does actually work at times, I must have attempted it ten times or more and still nothing on my set.