Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@raXXuz just to clarify. Sony does not guarantees it will work doesn't mean it won't work :wink:

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

Great, we have the same symtom. To be clear, in comparison with my old Sony HT-MT500 the bootup was not needed, the TV remained in Standby. The question is what Sony has done with eARC on the new TV's as they don't have this issue and Sony only support Bravia Sync and Sonoes has not done anything yet regarding this according to there support. Maybe Sony has added "full HDMICEC" in new tv's? Just speculation but still a bit weird.

Once again, thanks for the input. I can now stop troubleshot my TV.

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

Just because Sonos say nothing has changed etc doesn't automatically mean its down to Sony, i'm sure i've seen somewhere some peoples issue got solved by changing the hdmi cable, but anyhow just because someone says something doesn't make it so
profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

As I work in the IT bussiness that kinda of scentence is scary to hear. In my line of work, either you follow a standard and garanti compatibility regarding communication or you demand from a supplier to follow "my proporitary" standard and a specification describes how that works. This means that if not followed it won't work. Not that it might :slight_smile:

I understand what you are saying of course and it would be great if it would work just as much so that soundbars work 100% using ARC.

What i don't like is that the dealer i'm buying from whom I also bought my TV says that Sonos has 100% support for Sony and vice versa. I understand why they do to, HDMI ARC says Sonos, Sony says HDMI ARC both support and require Audio return channel support which both suppliers say that they support... They just don't say in what degree.

And i agree, in this case both Sony and Sonos has responsibility to meet one another. Let's hope they do as both has great potential in making good products.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Obvioulsy I agree with you that as a consumer I would like to be sure that if I buy different brand products that comply with a standard they should interoperate seamlessy.... unfortunately with HDMI CEC (that is underlying and needed for HDMI ARC) this is not the case and I can just assume that the possible combination of different devices spanning for 20 years and  each can support only some specific portion of the protocol can be a very hard job.

Any brand limits this work to their own products (so labelling the standard with a proprietary name), sincerely from a brand that makes only part of the chain and not the hub (the tv) I would expect an extra effort that their products undergo a more extensive work in order to test that they work with at least the major TV brands....

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

Agree and as a customer and the symtom my product produce due to not 100% support harm my Products. I gues that if they get faulty i don't have any warrent which not good. In current case i have no idea if the crash of Android is due to signal fault which could be bad or if it's just software. 

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

Since this channel focuses on Android 8/9, has there been any news or changes regarding upgrade policys for the XE/XF TV's or has they been completely droped from 9? The XF9xx TV is just 1 year old for me and was the latest model at the time. Same here, dealer almost guarentied at least 2 years of software support regarding the Smart part. Now Sony seems to concluded that XE/XF won't get Android 9.

profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

A final clarification - my Sony does not reboot when coming out of standby using my remote or via Alexa.

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

Neither does mine but if i let it remain in standby for 3-4 houres or through night then it will.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@raXXuz  ha scritto:

Since this channel focuses on Android 8/9, has there been any news or changes regarding upgrade policys for the XE/XF TV's or has they been completely droped from 9? The XF9xx TV is just 1 year old for me and was the latest model at the time. Same here, dealer almost guarentied at least 2 years of software support regarding the Smart part. Now Sony seems to concluded that XE/XF won't get Android 9.

There are continuos upgrade of the tv firmware even on 2015 Android tv models, AFAIK as I know one is on its way in these days. So it is not correct your assertion and Sony is giving a longer support compared to any other brand. Same for the warranty, software is explicitely excluded from any Tv manufacturing.

Pie is a different history (a major upgrade, that no other brand gives at least the most famous korean brands): There was at least in Italy an official interview with Sony managers that claimed they are experimenting Android 9 also on older model to check if it guarantees at least the same performance on older SoC before releasing it; if not they'll rather stick with Oreo.