Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

Beam is connected to TV via HDMI-ARC port as recommended. I also have a Sonos sub and two Play: 1 rear speakers to complete the surround package. 

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

@alanhhudsonAny special configuration on the tv or in Beam app? please add you FW version for the Sonos as well as you might have a different version since you and i might live in different countrys. With some luck you have a new version of software in your Beam.

I reacted a bit that you said that you have been using a beam a year without issues. that is kinda strange since Sony them selfs took Oreo back since they had so many issues in the begining with ARC and Android 8 (oreo). And like i said erlier i'm not alone with this issue (the 12 page long forum channel dedicated to this issue proves that). i'm very interested in knowing how it can work flawless for you. You seem to have found the issue. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@raXXuz I suggest you open a dedicated thread (or using one of the already available regarding Sonos beam use) since the problems you are referring to in this thread (long since fixed) where related mainly to Sony soundbar issues (including my own HTCT350) and other (like Yamaha) that were presenting the same issue. Bear in mind that there is a meaning to the fact that Sony (like any other manufacturer) uses a specific name (braviasync in this case, anynet, vieralink, ecc. for other) to the so-called standard HDMICEC: Sony guarantees only interoperability between braviasync devices, not any HDMICEC one.

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

@rooobbWhat do you mean by "long time fixed"? is it the following post? Or somthing I missed?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00223423

If other article adresses the Sonos Beam specifically please guide me to it. Many thanks

The following channels says otherwise:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-8-0-oreo-bug-xf9005-reboot-automatically-when-tur...

I'm just hoping to get help and solve my issue, it sounds like @alanhhudson  might have. So i'm very interested to here from him.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@raXXuz You can find another discussion specifically on Sono beam here https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/sonos-beam-arc-problem/m-p/2739792#M43021 (unfortunately still with no solution)

Regarding the problem on ARC connection, it was the very first release of Oreo that has that, it was fixed more than one year ago: if you look at previous improvements of Oreo (https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a1-series/kd-55a1/downloads/00016450) it has been addressed since release 6.5830

profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

Beam:

Sonos App v. 11.0

Beam hardware version: 1.23.1.10-2

Sony TV:

PKG6.6545.0255EUA

The Beam is always powered on or in standby. The Sony is occasionally in standby during the day, but at night is powered down completely via a smart plug. 

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

@alanhhudson  "but at night is powered down completely via a smart plug." And this never trigger Android to reboot?

If this is the case you have found somthing everyone else have missed :slight_smile:

I'm starting to lean on @rooobb explination that Sonos lacks support for Bravia Sync but you controdict this conclusion if you don't have any reboots. This i realy great to hear as i realy like my xf9005 alot (besides no Android Pie update but that is Another story :slight_smile: ) :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

When powering on in the morning, the smart plug is turned on by a voice command through an Alexa device or the Beam. I allow a couple of minutes for the OS to boot up before turning the set on with the remote. 

profile.country.SE.title
raXXuz
Explorer

Ahh… you seem to have the reboot as well if i read you correct (correct me if i'm wrong). Well I think i have got all the answers I need. Sonos lacks support for Bravia sync. We can only hope that Sony and Sonos help one another so that Sonos will get support for Bravia sync.

Many thanks for the intrest in helping me with this.

profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

Yes, in the same way that a PC or laptop needs to boot up after being powered off. Not Beam-related.