Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Why don't you install it by usb?

profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

you have to install the update by USB.
I have a Sony 49XE9005 i've had 3 of them, none of them updated by internet. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is mindboggling to me how Sony puts their customers at risk. Most people connect to the internet and are still sitting on Nougat with security patch level older than a year. On ATV1, many are still sitting on Marshmallow.

Problem is that every major Android TV update so far had to be withdrawn. Sony perfectly knows how bad their software quality is. Hence the slow OTA rollout which might again has been stopped.

profile.country.SE.title
pehlm1
Explorer

Sony may have cancelled the december update to Pie for the XG85, XG87, XG95 etc models. I suspect that because they haven't released the USB update file on their support page yet. I know one guy on the german community page who has got it German Sony community. In the thread they speculate about Sony have postponed the update until spring because of major problems. Can someone in charge confirm this?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I've just updated my KD43XD8305 to firmware v6.6545 via USB and have noted one annoying issue. The volume control 'speed' now increases/decreases far to rapidly. It takes about 2 seconds (maybe less) to go from zero to 30 and so fine control is only possible by repeated single clicks of the RC buttons.   

profile.country.GB.title
phturne39
Explorer

I've just updated by usb on my xe8004 all seemed well but the next morning I had to unplug the TV and plug it back in to get it to turn on! I thought I'd update as maybe Sony had sorted the issues from the other terrible Oreo updates?

Anyway I've factory reset the TV and it turned on this morning so I hope it stays like that, I have heard factory reset is only a temporary fix for this bug 😖, I've also unplugged my usb keyboard as i read that usb items can cause this bug!?

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

@phturne39 wrote:

<snip/>..I've also unplugged my usb keyboard as i read that usb items can cause this bug!?

Yes, Reddit is full of people doing the USB device dance to keep their TV alive. It's not a Sony acknowledged bug though if such a thing exists.

profile.country.GB.title
phturne39
Explorer

Has anybody actually fixed the bug from a hard reset? Or does it come back? I'm nervous every time I come to turn the TV on now, tomorrow morning is day 2 since the hard reset so fingers crossed.

profile.country.GR.title
Lefteris21ps

Android 9 has started again to role in usa for the specific models,so if everything goes well i believe in the next 2 weeks will start to europe to

profile.country.GB.title
samuelsmith
Explorer

If so, that's very exciting as I bought my TV about 6 months ago and have been waiting to cast via Iphone since then...

I check everyday and nothing so far in the UK...

Hopefully Sony skip 10 next go straight to 11