Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

Why would you even use the Chromecast stick, when it's built-in the TV!??
stoolzo

BSPLAYER seems to hardware decode, you can set ESFILE manager to use it as default player, i've used this a few times and it chugs through 30 gig 1080p rips quite happily, almost as well as my HTPC running KODi.

malcolm1962

@anjenki75 wrote:

@malcolm1962 wrote:

@ anjenki75 wrote:

The only advantage I can see with the Sony-YouView approach is that it has the content deals with e.g. Sky (Now TV) and, in theory (so customer support tell me) it will support the BT IPTV multicast channels if you have a subscription (BT Sport, AMC, Fox etc). That is interesting since BT themselves seem more interested in selling LG TV's to pair with their 4K Humax box...

I have not seen anything  that suggests YouView on Sony TVs will mean any Sky / NowTV content being available. I have BT YouView and NowTV is limited purely to Sky Movies and I have to use my AppleTV and NowTV boxe to access the Entertainment and Sports options. There is absolutely zero chance of BT IPTV multicast channels being available either. 

Yes Now TV doesn't make sports or entertainment available on YouView at the moment:
http://help.nowtv.com/article/NOW-TV-shows-that-aren-t-available-on-YouView

Regarding the BT stuff, well actually I only say that because, like I say, I asked Sony customer support this and a bunch of other related questions. These are the relevant answers:

3. Will the YouView EPG replace the existing EPG?

Yes it will replace the existing EPG.

4. Can you trigger a recording by pressing the record button whilst watching a live terrestrial broadcast?

Yes.

5. Can you schedule a future live terrestrial recording from the YouView EPG or search functions?

Sadly, the recording function is not available on YouView.

6. Can you schedule series recordings from the YouView EPG or search functions?

As previously advised, sadly the recording function is not available through YouView.

7. Will the TV support the IPTV EPG channels on YouView e.g. BT TV Entertainment, BT Sport (if you have a valid subscription)?

Yes it will be supported.

It might well be capable of supporting IPTV EPG channels, but BT will not be making its channels available via Sony Youview, valid subsription or not. 

I'm struggling to understand why you quote the Sky / Now TV link as an "advantage" when its clearly a very limited offering on YouView and it looks very unlikely to be included on our Sony TVs.w.  We have to be realistic here, all we are going to get on our is YouView-lite, basically the Epg and the ability to scroll back 7 days.  I'll be sticking with my BT YouView box, as this provides a far superior offering than what is being promised by Sony.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I thought id clear up a couple of mis-understandings you may have.

Youview

• YouView support should be added in the next firmware due to be released tomorow.
  • You will not be able to record broadcasts from YouView
  • You will not be able to use premium subscription servies (i.e. BT Sports) - besides, who would you pay your money too,  its not like TalkTalks Boost service.  

HDD Recording

• This update is not due out until just before Xmas - I believe.
  • To use this function, you will need to exit out of YouView first and into the other EPG.

Cheers

dspencer999

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Am I the first to report this?! Sony update page just changed from 13th October to 28th October!

Everything that we've been looking forward to arriving tomorrow is now put off yet again.

This is it for me; I'm making the call to RS tomorrow to return this pile of rubbish.

I don't believe they will ever fix these problems as the hardware simply isn't up to the job, and I suggest we all do the same. Unbelievable!

dspencer999

For UK residents

Network service

Availability / release date

NETFLIX for 4K TV sets 15th June 2015.
 BBC iPlayer 3rd July 2015.
 Opera browser 15th July 2015.
 PlayStation Now

15th July 2015.
 You can find out more on the following: PlayStation Now FAQ.

YouView We're in the final stages of testing and are refining the YouView experience on Sony's Android TVs. The launch date will be announced shortly.*
 PlayStation Video This feature will be available via a firmware update from 28th October.
 USB HDD recording (REC)

This feature will be available before 24th December. However, due to the technical complexity implementing this feature, the final release date(s) stipulated on our support site may be subject to change.*

HDR support (X85C, S85C, X91C, X90C, X93C and X94C only) This feature will be available via a firmware update from 28th October.
 HEVC broadcast support (2K/4K Android TV models - where free-to-air broadcast is available) This feature will be available via a firmware update from 28th October.
 Restricted profile for Android This feature will be available via a firmware update from 28th October.
 Twin Tuner This feature will be available before 24th December. However, due to the technical complexity implementing this feature, the final release date(s) stipulated on our support site may be subject to change.*
 Picture in Picture/Picture and Picture This feature will be available before 24th December. However, due to the technical complexity implementing this feature, the final release date(s) stipulated on our support site may be subject to change. PIP/PAP will be available for HDMI/Tuner combination via the latest firmware update.**
 Netflix’s support for 5.1 surround sound This feature will be improved via a firmware update from 28th October.
 Amazon Video support for 5.1 surround sound This feature will be available before 24th December.
 HDMI lip sync This feature will be improved via a firmware update from 28th October.
 Audio drop outs This feature will be improved via a firmware update from 28th October.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh *****

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

I will confirm this with my contact within Sony.

Kudos @dspencer999

lesking70

I've just about had enough now, the night before release, and they put it back AGAIN!! Stuck with a tv I pre ordered at full price that is a joke! That I have no way off returning, Never have I felt like this as a customer, treated like a mug!! We won't be seeing this update in 2015! If ever

elraouk

Am on holiday next week, so was holding off on ordering a new TV until I returned and really hoped Sony would have sorted this, meaning I could seriously consider them. This might be the final nail... 
sassbs
Explorer

Sorry Sony but this is unacceptable and extremly poor service.

I will be taking legal action for Fraud now. You promised me last week in a call from your "Customer Service Executive" that you would be fixing the issues on the 13th.