Join now - be part of our community!

Gimbal options for Xperia 5?

SOLVED
ChrisBlackhurst
Visitor

Gimbal options for Xperia 5?

Hi there, 

I've pre-ordered the Xperia 5 and am now looking for the best gimbal option. I initially looked at the DJI Osmo Mobile 3, but noted that the buttons being on the right hand side may be an issue? 

Anyone already tried the 5 with a gimbal yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

Bit of a tough one really because all gimbals for mobile phones grip the sides of the phone. I have an Xperia 1 and use it with a Zhiyun Smooth 4. It's best for the phone to be in a case so it stops the grip of the gimbal pressing any of the buttons. Unfortunately, you won't have access to any of the buttons whilst it's on the gimbal. In the past, I've positioned mine to at least leave the fingerprint sensor clear but sometimes caused issues with balancing. You can set the phone to wake by double tapping the screen, so no need for access to any buttons whilst using a gimbal.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

Bit of a tough one really because all gimbals for mobile phones grip the sides of the phone. I have an Xperia 1 and use it with a Zhiyun Smooth 4. It's best for the phone to be in a case so it stops the grip of the gimbal pressing any of the buttons. Unfortunately, you won't have access to any of the buttons whilst it's on the gimbal. In the past, I've positioned mine to at least leave the fingerprint sensor clear but sometimes caused issues with balancing. You can set the phone to wake by double tapping the screen, so no need for access to any buttons whilst using a gimbal.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Yeah I'd say the zhiyun is the better option, the osmo just tends to trigger the buttons more when in place.

ChrisBlackhurst
Visitor

The detailed feedback is really appreciated, Jon - thanks! 

admac21
Visitor

Hi there, I've received the Omso Mobile 3 for my Xperia 5 so can maybe answer some questions. It does indeed cover the volume down, fingerprint sensor and power button (Volume up and camera button are unobstructed). I've yet to encounter any accidental presses caused by the gimbal as it has an L shaped grip that doesn't put much is any pressure on the buttons. The actual issue I have encountered is that despite the grip being very thin, the wide-angle camera actually captures the gimbal in the bottom right which makes it entirely useless. It will be possible to fix this by moving the phone further out but you'll need to get some counter weights which I don't think DJI have made available yet. So until counter weights are available the wide-angle camera can't really be used with this gimbal.