Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play system update stuck on 1st February (Xperia 10 III)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
SpitfireMk

Google Play system update stuck on 1st February (Xperia 10 III)

While trying to update it, it asks me to reboot the system. When I do so, it reboots for a second time on its own and when I check the Google Play system version it didn't change.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
dven1000
Explorer

I've been having the exact same problem. I've also been in contact with Sony support and they have suggested various fixes which are included in this feed... All have been unsuccessful for me.

They have now asked me to provide a video of the problem, which I have done, and I will update when I get a reply. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Hi,

I'm one step ahead of you in their flow chart...the next thing they will likely say is that you need to use a different wifi or 4G network, which will also make no difference.

They are clutching at straws and even blamed Google at one point (they didnt realise i had been in contact with Google and proved the problem wasnt caused by them.

I got slightly angry in my last reply to them and pointed them to this thread and told them ive already tried way more than they're suggesting.

I'll also post here when i get a response.

profile.country.GB.title
dven1000
Explorer

I'm fairly close to returning it tbh.

It's a shame because it was the perfect phone for me as in size and waterproofing. Got mine from Argos and their 30 day return policy is nearly up.

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

UPDATE:

I've just had an emaill telling me that my case has finally been escalated to tthe "Technical Department." So we shall see what the next response I get is...Quite why it took seven mostly pointless emails back and forth to get this far is a mystery. Im due a response in 48 hours, given the weekend that will be next Tuesday I hope.

profile.country.GB.title
mkerk8
Explorer

Without doing anything special, I tried once more yesterday after several days and it now seems that I managed to get the first of the two updates  (i.e. the smaller, ~500K one) properly installed.

I just downloaded it again, but this time around it did not go into a second reboot & rollback. Under the Security section, the "Google play update" entry still reads in red "1 Feb 2021", but now if i click on it, it offers the 2nd, 27MB update. And for the first time I am able to complete that download. But the behaviour repeats after that one gets installed, i.e. there is a first reboot to install the update, and a minute later a second one to roll it back. In between I managed to get as far as the "security" section, where the "Google play update" entry was green, date was "1 June 2021" and I even managed to click on it and got a message that "no updates are available". The forced rollback seems to roll back only this 2nd 27MB update, as this is the one that is now offered if i start over. But at least it looks like I am one step closer?

I don't remember doing anything special to make this happen. I remember that after my last unsuccessful attempt, I just downloaded the (at the time) latest Play Store app version (ver 25.9...) and left it like that (For those who missed it in the earlier post, this can be triggered from within the Play store app by clicking on the version number under Settings). The 25.9 Play store app version now also seems to have be properly installed, as previously it got rolled back together with the ~500K update.

I have also noticed that now there is an even newer Google Play app version (ver 26...) that can be downloaded (again by clicking on the version number within the app). But yes, it is now that one that gets rolled back together with the 27MB update. Still not sure what is the connetion between the two, but there seems to be one. Applying the 27MB update with the ver 25 or ver 26 of Play app installed makes no difference as previously.

The other only differences that I can think of between my last attempt and this one was that a) I installed my SIM card in the meanwhile (the phone is new, so i was still just setting it up). But anyway all update attempts were done over WI-FI not 4G, so I don't think that makes any difference. b) Several days passed. I think (though not 100% sure) my last attempt to install these updates was before 1 July, and it did cross my mind that somehow the date could be important.

Anyway, I still don't have a solution to offer, but perhaps have another go at it if you haven't done so recently. It might get you at least one step ahead. (Yes, I realise that this sounds like the worst of support service advice  😀 )               

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Funny you should say that...

I had a similar experience yesterday and have also now managed to get the 544kb update, with the 27Mb one still failing and rolling back. 😀

All I did was check for app updates on the Play Store (I prefer to do them manually daily rather than letting the handset do them itself) I had two updates offered, one of which was the Google "messages" app (The one which does SMS). Same as you I checked for play store security updates, got the small initial one and rebooted, checked again and was offered the 27Mb one. I did notice while it was downloading the size kept changing...it rebooted and did it again only removing the latter one so at least the 544kb one is in place now!

I think you're correct, this is all Google app related, ive been able to get the 26 version of the play store for some days now, but as you say, it makes zero difference.

In reality, this problem doesnt seem to adversely affect handset performance, its just annoying. I'll report back next week with what Sony say. In one of my emails I pointed them to this thread, so i hope they take notice.Ive got 2 sims in my phone, different networks ( one work one personal ) and it works flawlessly thus far.

profile.country.GB.title
dven1000
Explorer

Same here. 544kb update installed and am now offered the 27kb which attempts to install, but rolls back.

I did receive an email yesterday to say my issue was being passed to the 'relevent' department. Whether that is the technical department, I don't know.

They do seem to be making some progress though. Let's see what happens on Tuesday.

profile.country.GB.title
SpitfireMk

I just received a system update (62.0.A.3.70). After installing it I was able to update Google Play System without an issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
dven1000
Explorer

That's great news! Haven't received it yet, but hopefully will in the next few hours.

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Thanks for the info, that's good news.

I've just scanned for updates and nothing yet, but I am on O2 branded firmware which may or may not make a difference. At least we know a fix is in the pipeline.