Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000XM4 Sudden Battery Drain Issue | 2 days after warranty period ends!

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
_MarkM_
Explorer

WF-1000XM4 Sudden Battery Drain Issue | 2 days after warranty period ends!

I bought a set of WF-1000XM4s last year (literally a few days over 1 year ago) and have loved them ... sound quality is outstanding!

I had noticed slight battery performance reduction in recent weeks however a few days ago the buds powered down due to low battery after just 40 mins or so (from full charge).

I have tried the reset and initialisation processes since and run some tests. Consistently, the buds are now losing ~25% charge per 10 minutes! 

I initiated a support chat yesterday with Sony who suggested sending them for inspection & repair but to note the terms of the warranty.

I asked if this would end up being a paid 'inspection & repair' and if so, they were going in the bin and I'd refrain from buying Sony products in the future.

I was told this would be investigated and I'd get a reply 'within 1 working day' ... I won't hold my breath!

Meantime, anyone else seen this issue and anything I can try?

I use them with LDAC on, DSEE off and flip between NC off & ambient mode depending on where I am.

Sony support site suggests I should get circa 4.5 hours and I probably originally got that ... now its 30 to 40 mins so not even one album!
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
retcorp
New

I've had mine for 15 months and have the same issue. Customer support couldn't care less. "Send them in and we'll charge you to diagnose, then you can choose if you pay for the repair". I know what the diagnosis is, it's the same as for everyone else who is having issues on here: "The product was manufactured to a sub standard, possibly exacerbated by a firmware update, and we're not prepared to take responsibility for either". Terrible advert for the company, I'll be steering clear of Sony for a while. A manufacturing defect is excusable, refusal to take responsibility is not!

profile.country.GB.title
tjb370
Explorer

Hi, depending on where you are globally seems to depend on what Sony say/do, also who you speak to! There is a lot of helpful stuff on how to proceed on Reddit - definitely worth a search. 

I was in similar situation to you, but my buds were 1 month out of warranty, but after following suggestions online, I got my buds replaced free of charge - bit of a battle, but I got the mystery "favourable resolution" that a lot of posts refer to! 

Totally agree Sony need to take ownership of this issue. 

Good luck!