Join now - be part of our community!

Changing location on Xperia

profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Changing location on Xperia

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you can help. I am currently helping out a family relative where her Xperia think she's in Ireland when in fact she is currently in the United Kingdom. I have read numerous sources on the Internet to fix this problem from changing the location settings in the Google Play Store, flashing the phone and even ensuring that the SIM card is using the correct regional settings. Unfortunately I cannot go into specifics regarding the phone's specifications as well as the current firmware version, however this problem is causing her major problems and is stopping her from downloading the Shell app (not the Pro version), downloading her COVID passport in the NHS app as well as downloading other apps from the Google Play Store as the apps keep saying that she is not in the correct region to receive these downloads. She said she bought the phone awhile ago from an O2 shop in the United Kingdom but what does not make sense is why is the phone set to Ireland instead of United Kingdom when in fact she bought the phone in the United Kingdom? Surely these phones are not regional specific and can be changed based on the person's location whenever they are like other smartphones? Do you think she was sold a phone that was imported from another country and should go back to O2 for assistance? I was under the impression that providers sell phones that are not are region specific? Correct me if I am wrong. If there are other solutions you can think of that I have not already explored would be much appreciated. I am debating whether she should get another phone to avoid any complications with warranties etc particularly flashing the phone where she could lose data if the process does not go according to plan. She does have her phone backed up to Google using her Google account but as a double precaution she could use the Xperia Suite in Windows to back up her data on the phone. My other question is what are the advantages of using the Xperia Suite in Windows over her Google account to back up her data and vice versa? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Also are providers allowed to help people with transferring their contents from their old phones to their new phones with regards to GPDR? Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi @timauluck

Could you let us know the model of the device ?

profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Hi @EMS_MO72

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, the model is an Xperia XZ2 Compact Model H8314 with Android 10.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim