Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S185 freezing when BBC iplayer is selected

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
RadiantDuck88
Explorer

BDP-S185 freezing when BBC iplayer is selected

Hi all,

sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I recently bought a BDP-S185 in February 2012 with the attraction of BBC iplayer and lovefilm etc. And its been doing it's job wonderfully until yesterday. I hhave just got back from a two week trip and when i tried to watch iplayer it's caused my Blu-ray player to freeze on the 'wallpaper' (normal blue line bckground thing, but without the menus).

It wont respond and after quite a while will just turn itself off. Everything else works, and I've tried turning it off at the wall and trying again, a factory reset (though I think thats only regarding the settings) and the firmware is up-to-date.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Many thanks

108 REPLIES 108
lgb2000
Visitor

I have been speaking to Sony tech support on the phone and have an active log since middle of August.  I have been assured that a senior engineer is currently dealing with this issue and promised a callback within 24 hours.  It does seem to be progressing although somewhat slowly but will keep the forum up to date with my efforts!

Whitingx
Visitor

Thanks very much for the update lgb2000 :smileyplus:

Sounds as if (some) progress is being made.

Whitingx
Visitor

lgb2000 wrote:

I have been assured that a senior engineer is currently dealing with this issue and promised a callback within 24 hours.

Did you get any reply from the senior engineer?

lgb2000
Visitor

Sadly not, I will call them first thing tomorrow to get an answer, didn't have time this afternoon

Whitingx
Visitor

Thanks for the effort your putting into this, I appreciate the work you've put in contacting Sony and keeping this thread updated.

Do you have a contact at Sony you could share details of? If a few of us experiencing this issue were to contact them the issue might get escalated faster.

lgb2000
Visitor

0844 846 6555  option 4, then 3.

Front line support I have spoken to AHMED MOSTAFA.  It certainly wouldn't hurt if more people logged the same fault.

ripilbe
Visitor

Afternoon,

Logged fault as requested!  Front line support asked me to send an contact message in via the Sony support website and upload a photo of the screen (which I don't think will be much use!).  WIll keep the forum posted.

lgb2000
Visitor

I just spoke to Sony - apparantly the case is still in a queue to be dealt with by the escalation team and I will be contacted once an update is posted.

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for illegal suggestion

Whitingx
Visitor

Logged fault as requested!  Front line support asked me to send an contact message in via the Sony support website and upload a photo of the screen (which I don't think will be much use!).  WIll keep the forum posted.

@ripilbe - Good luck with that, I submitted a support request via the website and recieved this email;

We are sorry to read that you experience an issue with BBC iPlayer application.

Please ensure that you have the most recent firmware updated, this can be found by following the link below, please follow the onscreen instructions:
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/BDP-S185/downloads/BDP69G_v0042

If the issue remains following the firmware update please refer to the troubleshooting steps below:

1.       Press the Home menu button on the remote control.

2.       Select Set-up.

3.       Then press Resetting.

I hope this information is of some assistance.

all of which I've tried already and none of which worked :slight_frown:

lgb2000
Visitor

I certainly won't be buying any more Sony products in future, the length of time to resolve this since the original log is now 3 weeks and Sony still have no clear idea of when they might fix it or the root cause.  Support don't contact you when they promise and clearly people are still receiving stock scripted responses rather than an acknowledgement that there is a wider problem with this particular model.  What a poor display of customer service! :slight_frown: