Join now - be part of our community!

XF900 Bootloop following Oreo update

profile.country.IE.title
csteenson
Explorer

XF900 Bootloop following Oreo update

Last week following the release of the Oreo update, I downloaded the firmware and updated the TV via USB.

All seemed to be working fine until yesterday evening when the TV got into a bootloop.

It turns on, I can see the Sony logo, then the Anroid animation, followed by the Andriod logo, and then it boots into the main menu. Roughly 10/15 seconds later (during wihch the TV is fine and operating), the screen goes blank and the TV reboots.

At one point, I reinstered the USB key and it stopped the bootloop. I got a message saying "Firmware already updated, you can remove the USB key" and this seemed to resolve the issue. I also had the ethernet cable unplugged during this. However, a few hours later it went back into the bootloop.

Can anyone shed any light on how I might be able to resolve this? Should I do a factory reset? Or is there something executing in the background (like an automated update check)  that may be kicking the TV into the bootloop? The fact that the USB key briefly stopped the loop is interesting. Thanks in advance for any help!

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi there,

Welcome to the community.

Can you tell us the full model number of your Tv so that we can find some advice for you?

Thanks,

Ed

profile.country.IE.title
csteenson
Explorer

Hi Ed!

It's a KD49XF9005.

Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @csteenson,

I suggest you first disconnect the ethernet cable, then power on the TV and initiate a Factory Data Reset in the 10-15 seconds when you have access to the Settings menu. You can find instructions on how to perform a Factory Data Reset on your TV on this article.

It might be that you didn't execute a Factory Data Reset prior to upgrading your firmware and therefor an app data migration to the new operating system encountered issues and didn't complete sucessfully. That could be now causing your TV software to hang and force a reboot cycle.

Keep us updated please.

Cheers,

Dutchice

IMPORTANT: Be aware that if you perform a factory reset, all of the TV's data and settings (Wi-Fi and wired network setting information, Google account and other login information, Google Play and other installed applications, etc.) will be erased, and the TV will return to how it was at the time of purchase.

profile.country.IE.title
csteenson
Explorer

Thanks @dutchice, will give that a try this evening and will update.

profile.country.IE.title
csteenson
Explorer

@dutchice Doing a Factory Data Reset seems to have resolved the issue. Haven't had a reoccurance in the last 4 days. Thanks for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
wuyuankai

I had the same issue, but it's not indefinitely reboot. 

When i turn on my TV after a long period of standby, the TV will reboot (Android logo, sony logo etc..), then it's working fine,  until next time when I turn off the TV

profile.country.AU.title
Forty5
New

Hi there,

I have this issue. Which is also preventing my Google home from working with the tv. Did you manage to resolve this? Also none of the Google movies will play on the tv using the native app.

To be clear I was referring to the issue posted by wuyuankai

Thanks in advance!
profile.country.GB.title
jgn88n

Similar issue! But my tv seemingly will not go beyond the Android 4 circles screen. I’m not sure I can even press the home button to get to the factory reset!

Mainboard issue surely? It’s fried! I’m hoping Sony can help or at least admit fault and repair or replace the tv
profile.country.IE.title
csteenson
Explorer

A factory reset did the job for me. One of the apps I had installed was
acting up and causing the bootloop. The reset cleared everything and got
the TV back into working order.