Join now - be part of our community!

Watching Recorded programs from a DLNA server

profile.country.GB.title
mccormw
New

Watching Recorded programs from a DLNA server

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder which has a 1TB HD and can blow DVDs and Blue Ray discs from the HD.  The main reason we bought this piece of kit was to be able to watch recorded drama when away in our motorhome and it is great.

We are now looking to buy a 43" TV for a large extension that has been recently completed and my initial houghts was to buy one like the one in our motorhome with a built in DVD player.  I can hear you all shaking your heads and scratching your chins as you read this and so am I - it was a daft idea.

So my next thought was to use the Panasonic's DLNA server function, I can watch content from the server's HD on my iPad or Win10 PC - works brilliantly.  So the answer is simple buy a TV with DLNA functionality BUT looking at the Sony range none of them have DLNA functionality in their spec sheet.  Is this because ALL new Sony TVs are using Android as their operating system and I can use some App to watch matterial from my DLNA servers?

Can someone fill me in with the picture on these new TVs.

PS we have an earlier Bravia TV from Sony and that will read from DLNA very simply.

Ta very much

Bill

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @mccormw and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

There are streaming apps with DLNA available that can be loaded onto your android TV e.g. Plex.

I believe that would work for you :slight_smile:

Have a look Here

and Here

profile.country.GB.title
mccormw
New

Hi Jumpsuit and thanks for your reply.  I have heard of PLEX but I am not sure it will help because I can't run it on my Panasonic DVD recorder or can PLEX also act as a client?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @mccormw,

You are correct on that. The PLEX app for Android TV will require you to have a PLEX Server installed, which you will not be able to do on your Panasonic DVD recorder. However I would like also to correct a misunderstanding. Practically all Sony Android TV's built since 2015 come with native support for playback of DLNA streams. The DLNA player is part of the built-in app by Sony called Video. The Video app, can not only play content from an external USB storage, but also can detect DLNA servers on your local home network and access and playback content from there. So if your Panasonic DVD recorder complies with the DLNA specification, your new Sony BRAVIA TV will also be able to connect and play content from the DLNA server on the Panasonic DVD recorder.

Don't hesitate to ask us any other questions you might have. We are here to help!

Cheers,

Dutchice

DrNigel
New

Just got a Sony TV but when I try to view material recorded from HD channels on the Panosonic PVR they either are not showing in the Sony Video APP or will not play (non HD program but recorded from an HD channel ) is there another APP