Join now - be part of our community!

vertical blue line in screen

profile.country.GB.title
BearFowler
Explorer

vertical blue line in screen

Hi guys,

I have a KDL-43W756C that has developed a thin line blue line running vertically near the about 1/4 away from the left of the screen. Appears on all inputs.

Any suggestions as to what this could be or how to solve it?

Thanks

Michael

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

From your description this unfortunately sounds like a hardware fault (faulty screen). I take it you mean it is a very sharply defined line perhaps just a pixel or so in width. I hope this is under warranty.

profile.country.GB.title
BearFowler
Explorer

Hi Mooly01

You description is correct and confirmed what I was thinking.

The downside is its 18month old. I'll contact the retailer.

Thanks

Michael

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

You can try contacting the seller although I don't believe they have any statutory duty once outside the guarantee period.

Where you might get some success is by taking this up with Sony and bringing to attention the 'Consumer Rights Act 2015' (which replaced the old sale of goods act). Have a read '9' here. It is certainly reasonable to expect a premium brand TV to function satisfactorily for more than 18 month before suffereing a problem that renders it essentially beyond economic repair. 

Consumer Rights Act 2015

Good luck... and don't be put off.  

profile.country.GB.title
BearFowler
Explorer

Thanks for the link, I was actually reading a bit about SOG last night but never got as far as the actual act itself.

I think it is actually the seller that has the resposbililty regardless of when the issue happens. 

Thanks again.

Michael

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Yes, you could be correct on that. I was thinking as it was past warranty your claim could fall to the manufacturer...

Some useful info here:

Consumer rights

Fwiw, I've had two products replaced under the old SOG. One was the infamous original Daewoo Freeview first generation set top box. That was 6 yrs old as I recall when changes to the transmission system rendered it (and thousands of others) useless. Contacted Daewoo over that and was sent a new model.

Second was a Panasonic DVD recorder that also was effected by transmission changes. That would have been a couple of years old. A promised update was slow to materialise and so I confronted Argos and secured a replacement model. 

And finally our old Sony 32" IDTV that was a few years old when a requested channel rescan (again Freeview changes) caused no channels to be stored and receivable. A software update should have been issued before the change, following the change and rescan it would never be received. I complained to Sony and secured an engineer visit complete with laptop and revised software to install. Sony initially wanted to charge this as a service call but I argued on the grounds the product was sold as 'future proof'. They immediately said they would cover the cost.

So go for it :slight_smile: 

profile.country.GB.title
BearFowler
Explorer

Excellent, cheers Mooly01.

Ive sent the retailer a message, lets see what they say.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Good luck, and let us know how it all goes.

profile.country.GB.title
BearFowler
Explorer

So first shots fired, Usual responce its out of warranty contact the manufacturer..............

profile.country.GB.title
BearFowler
Explorer

dropped the Consumer rights act into the conversation,

Mow we are onto the engineers report section. Hopefully the TV shop at the end of my street will do that for me at a resonable rate. 

Now just to find the receipt!!:thinking: