Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV Remote not working after TV update

profile.country.GB.title
madalin84us
Explorer

Sony TV Remote not working after TV update

Hi

I dont know if anyone is having this issue or not but....

I have purchased  KD-55XD9305 from John Lewis in Autumn 2016 for 2,000GBP

All was ok until a month ago when the TV had a system update from Android 5.1 to 6 (Marshmellow) 

After this stupid update my remote wont work again - it takes 20 presses to actually move thru menus - cant turn sound on/off, change channells, go into netflix amazon etc, i cant even turn the TV on or off - i have to use the buttons on the TV

I had reset the TV to factory but that didnt really helped - it improved it for a day but now its same 

In fact the issue is getting worse - after the update the remote worked ok for a few days and began to decay slowly to the point where it was unsusable 

have tried with other Sony TV remotes, have changed batteries - everything

I had to download and use Android TV remote app - but that is sooo limited and doesnt do half the things a normal tv do (eg change channels or sound)

I am 100% sure this is a software issue - as i never had this problem before this update - also after the update - the voice search stopped working 

also i have a message on the screen saying that the update was stopped because of the bugs it had - but that those who updated should not be worried (REALLY??? bcz there's nothing working anymore)

To add to this - there is no option to roll-back to 5.1 so am now stuck with this issue - which is getting more and more frustrating (Esp when you pay 2 grands for a TV) and wanna change a channel but cant 

How can i solve this or what is the resolution - am seriously thinking of changeing the TV or something 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am going to add this link in regards to re-pairing the remote control after Marshmallow update:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137918/

However I am reasonably confident that this is not your particular issue.  I know you said that you did a factory reset, can you do it again ?  Instructions HERE

After that, if it still doesnt work, I think its time to get the TV repaired, see:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
madalin84us
Explorer

Have already done 3 factory resets - as i mentioned above

it works OKish for the first day or so then is becoming increasingly unusable - i think the application that is used for controling the tv via the remote is not working properly

the TV and Remote are they communicating via IR or blue tooh?

also how the heck it worked OK before the update and now is not - and is it normal to send an OTA update and then expect people to send their TV in service - and wait weeks without a TV

I paid 2K i expected a good relieable TV where at least the remote-TV function would work....

Jeez 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jeez

Unfortunately I dont think these forums will be able to help you resolve the problem.  Other than referring you to a Sony repair centre - the only thing I can do is escalate this topic to Sony Support for them to investigate or advise you further - which I have now done so.  Please ensure that you have correct contact details in your My Sony account.

No it is not normal (thankfully) to expect people to get their TV repaired after a firmware update - although the rollout of Marshmallow was put on hold due to some critical issues that needed investigating and solving.

Anyhow, someone from Sony should be contacting you in the next day or two.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
paulkeith
Explorer

I have had precisely the same problem following the marshmallow upgrade. The upgrade was successful with no failure messages. I have also performed a factory reset - which was a total pain - it takes ages to re-establish everything. 

The he remote control only works within about three inches from the sensor. After a period of use, the range can increase and it is possible to use the remote a couple of feet away. However, after turning the TV off, it go s back to the reduced range. 

In addition, there is a bug concerning using an external disk for making to recordings. As soon as you set a timed recording the remote stops working and the receiver LED shos solid green. This goes away only after the reco ding has completed or by doing a full android power down. 

At all times, the remote iPad iOS and and ois remote software programs operate can perform remote operations without issue.

in addition, the TV now only intermittently detects the second usb disk which acts as a server for KODI.

i have also experienced several unexpected android reboots - frequently whilst using YouTube.

none of these issues are costed before the marshmallow update - quit frankly, I cannot see any advantage from the marshmallow upgrade and it is pretty damned obvious that the upgrade is full of bugs. 

In addition to all this the remote iOS and andoid applications have had most of their functions removed - some of ths have nothing to do with external licensing issues.

basically, SONY's idea of "upgrade" is to add lots of new bugs and to remove lots of key features without any consideration to the users who use these features. Not so much as an apology. Not good enough. I will not be buying ANYTHING SONY in future. Period!

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Ok, for starting the USB module in 6.0.1 and 7.0 is really messed up. In 7.0 simply having some HDR demos in the USB pendrive with the thumbnails enabled in X-plore made the television sitting down, even restarting itself. The remote wasn't responsive either, although it was a matter that the whole Android slowed down. I know, it makes little sense, but that is what it happened to me. Disabling the thumbnails (or removing the USB pendrive) and then restarting somehow fixed the issue.

So, what I would suggest, is to turn off the television, unplug all USB devices, maybe do a restart and see if the remote works. If you did it already after doing a factory reset give it a try anyway. If it still doesn't work I would personally contact Sony support and probably take the tv to service. It feels like the IR sensor is weak, although I agree it might be something wrong in the device driver (thus a software problem).

In the meantime, you may also want to try the Sony remote app: Video & TV SideView : Remote. It has many more functinalities than the Android TV remote app, even more than a fisical remote. It isn't a solution but it may work as a workaround.

This worked for me after a system update last night. I was on Android 7, and after the update my remote could only be used to turn the TV on and off. Other buttons like Home, Action Menu and volume simply wouldn't respond.

I unplugged both USB devices that I had connected to the TV - a 32GB USB Drive, and the Logitech USB receiver for a wireless keyboard, before turning the TV off (by unplugging) and restarting it. The remote now works, even after plugging both USB devices back in.

I'm guessing the system update messes up the order in which device drivers are loaded for the USB devices. The IR sensor might be connected internally as a USB device.

So next time there is a system update, I plan to remove any USB devices before proceeding.

scout6969
New

I am having the same problem. Any fixes?