Join now - be part of our community!

Sony OLED AF9 Freeview Tuners

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sabhatt69
Explorer

Sony OLED AF9 Freeview Tuners

Hiya,

After disabling YouView to use the built in Freeview app for USB recording, are you able to watch another channel at the same time whilst recording is taking place? 

Also how many channels are you able to record at the same time, as on many of the Samsungs TV's lets you do 2 and watch another.

I understand that this OLED TV has twin tuners.

Hope someone will be able to answer this question as it has not been made clear and I assume a feature that not many people will be using.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No. You cannot record more than one program in any case

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
sabhatt69
Explorer

Hiya,

Anyone that has this particular set, will you be kind enough to test this for me?

Thanks

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Having a twin tuner you may record one program and look at another (or playback the recording while taking place) unless you are recording an encoded program via CI CAM (in which case the tuner is locked).

You cannot record two programs at once.

Do not know how it works on Samsung but hardly you can record 2 programs and look at another (in which case you would need 3 tuner)

profile.country.GB.title
sabhatt69
Explorer

It is definitely strange on the Samsung, where it states twin tuners as well but you are able to record two freeview programs at the same time and watch a third lol

This was tested on the UK model of the 55" Q7FN 2018 QLED.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

This could potentially happen only if 2 put of the 3 programs are on the same mux. 
profile.country.GB.title
sabhatt69
Explorer

Is this the case for the AF9 as well then?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No. You cannot record more than one program in any case
profile.country.GB.title
sabhatt69
Explorer

I noticed on the Q7FN that it has Twin Picture in Picture functionality with Freeview (showing two channels on the same screen) where the Sony does not. So there is some sort of dual processing going on behing the scenes with the digital channels.

MattGibson
Explorer

Hiya,

Apologies if you think this is a stupid question...how do you disable YouView on the AF9?

I have never enabled so it is at the setup stage, I have no Ariel and only satellite so never needed.

Other posts also talk about disabling so am assuming that you can only "disable" if enabled and there is no way to actually disable...

Is this correct?...I ask as I want to use the online TV catchup apps...BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, etc...

BBC iPlayer and My5 work but ITV Hub and 4OD re-directs me to YouView and from what I have read I should be able to access all without YouView...but cannot find any detailed information.

Thanks in advance,

Matt