Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55XG9505 Screen cracked spontaneously

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
AdrianA19761

Sony KD55XG9505 Screen cracked spontaneously

Hi,

First of all I would like to say long time Sony TV purchaser here and was happy with their products (Not anymore)

Is anyone aware of any design issues with this model particular the screens cracking with 0 physical damage, I am very careful with my products and do not mishandle them and never have.

This TV I have had for 2 years has been perfect, Been very happy with it until yesterday morning on what can only look like bullet holes in the screen, Nothing has hit the screen, There is no physical damage whatsoever, I came down from upstairs to find cracks behind the LCD rendering the TV with 0 picture it is damaged.

I purchased this from Richer Sounds in the UK who I have already contacted and they said it is not covered under warranty even though there is still 4 years left of the warranty, I am extremely annoyed and want an explanation of the design flaw with this TV and why it has happened, It looks so bad on the images but there are 0 scratches on the screen no physical damage and it has not been hit, Dropped or mishandled in any way shape or form.

Sony I would like an explanation as to why my screen has cracked spontaneously, Thermal issue? Design issue? I can not recommended Richer Sounds or Sony products ever again if this does not get resolved, This TV cost me £1300 2 years ago and has been great since then until yesterday, I know this issue is out down to physical damage but I am not the sort of person to waste people's time if it was physical damage and not to mention I have seen many posts from other users experiencing a similar phenomenon with TVs and also mobile phone screens cracking for whatever reason without explanation.

Do I take Sony or Richer Sounds to a small claims court? I am not about to let lie down a product I paid so much money for, For no error of my own for the screen to just crack so easily on it's own when it was not my fault, I repeat there is 0 exterior physical damage not even a single scratch on the surface of the screen or to the rear of the set.

IMG20221004114503.jpg

IMG20221004114423.jpg

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
AdrianA19761

Hi,

Yes the front panel is in perfect condition, Perfectly smooth not damaged at all, Not a single scratch where the images show what looks like where the cracks started.

I explained this to Richer Sounds who in not so many words said called me a liar and didn't even bother asking to bring it in hence why they have lost my custom.

And yes I already enquired about taking them to court and was told by my legal rep that it would probably end up costing me more than the TV hence why I went the insurance route.

There is no explanation why or how it happened I do not know all I know is the screen has cracked underneath the outer display ie the LCD underneath.

I still have the TV here as the insurance hasn't asked for it back so I will keep it and if I do find an expert to be able to look at it and give me written evidence why it cracked internally it won't be the end of it that's for sure.

profile.country.GB.title
awni1619
Explorer

I've had the same issue with my KDL55 xf9005bu, vertical and horizontal lines appear out of no where, Sony support and unfortunately also Richer Sounds are claiming physical damage. I haven't touched it except for very light dusting since I put it up on the cabinet just over two years ago.

Both Sony and Richer Sounds are refusing to offer a replacement TV as the panel apparently is not available, so there's no repair option.

Tom Griffin head of customer service has offered a discount on any new TV I might be interested in, still waiting to hear back about the level of discount to be offered!

In reality I should be offered a like for like replacement as the TV was sold with a 6 year warranty.

I have also written to Richer Sounds MD, waiting for any reply.

I don't feel it's fair after paying so much money for TV that is rendered useless because of no fault of my own.

I wanted to add to Adrian story, as he's not alone and this seems to be a design fault with Sony TVs.

Avoid buying any Sony TV ,  if you need repair or replacement you'll definitely not going to get any help from Sony.

I'm hoping Richer Sounds will do the right thing. Will update further here as and when.

profile.country.GB.title
AdrianA19761

Hi mate,

Sorry you had a similar issue to me, I thought I lost my mind when it happened to me but no in fact the screen cracked itself, I am 100% confident and sure it's a Sony build issue with LCDs they are weak not fit for purpose, You cannot breathe on Sony LCDs without fear of the screen cracking.

Avoid Richer sounds and avoid Sony LCDs, They will not believe you as the nature of a cracked screen is always blamed on operator or user error somehow they can't believe it can be a build issue, If they know LCDs crack so easily in big screens why are the sets manufactured so weak like a piece of flimsy paper.

Same as you nothing intense light dusting and cleaning however this was not the issue I was upstairs and when I came back down it's then I noticed no picture on the screen and 2 cracks left and right.

Don't be fooled with Sony's or Richer sounds long warranties not worth the paper they're on.

I've been using an LG oled since and have had 0 issues bonus it even feels far more sturdy and won't crack just being looked at.

Hope you get it sorted but as consumers something needs to be done about cracked screens and retailers and manufacturers warranties, If I had the time and funds I would have taken both of them to court.

If there is no damage in the exterior then that's how warranties should stand with these products going forward, The real evidence is damage on the exterior, If there is no damage to the outer screen itself the how can it be the users fault.

Save yourself the headache in future and avoid these 2 companies.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @AdrianA19761, if you're 100% sure that there were no physical damages whatsoever, then you need to send the unit to be inspected, they will certainly know if this was caused by a physical damage or an internal component, maybe they can escalate the issue then if they confirmed it wasn't caused by a physical damage.

profile.country.GB.title
AdrianA19761

@Piscie 

Hi I am not 100% sure it cracked itself I am 1000% it cracked itself,

I already sent the pics to Richer sounds who dismissed it straight away and said physical damage to which I replied see it for yourself and you will not see a mark on the screen but was still told it's how it has been handled.

Waste of time it has now been scrapped, They have lost my custom for good as has Sony also.

I repeated I don't know how many times I look after my equipment, In fact I still have 1 of Sony's early 4k TVs in storage the X900 series with the speakers on the edges of the screen that cost me £3k since release and it is till in perfect working order, But I was accused of mishandling according to Richer Sounds, I lost count how many times I said there is 0 exterior damage to the set but got nowhere.

Don't like to leave negative reviews of stores but after spending £1300 on that set I am done and so are my family and a few close friends.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@AdrianA19761 and all

If this happens to anyone else, then get a very bright light, and arrange it to slant across the screen where any external damage causing the cracking would show, and photograph the unblemished flatness. Another photo, same setup but with a straight-edge, like a wooden ruler, across the middle would help also.

Then ask Sony, Richer Sounds, John Lewis or whoever to explain how the damage could be anything other than internal.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
AdrianA19761

This is precisely what I said to Richer Sounds, The guy from the store (Stockport Store) Even said yes the LCD inbetween is cracked to which I replied so what are you saying if there is no external damage? Didn't know what to say.

Honestly if I had the time and funds they would have been taken to court and I would have sent the set to an independent engineer to inspect and prove it was internal and not external.

There is a build issue with some LCD's that Sony and retailers are not admitting, I have seen mobile phone screens cracked without external damage (stress fracture) which they have been replaced under warranty for a friend, This alone proves it can happen and it damn right does happen, The ignorance from the uneducated retailers is quite frankly a joke, Never again will I step foot in one of their stores.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @AdrianA19761, I know how frustrating the issue is! But I'd only recommend taking the TV to Sony centre to inspect it themselves, they you can ask for a repair report or something to know what exactly happened. But any more digging in different placed would just confuse things even more