Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55 AF9

MattGibson
Explorer

Sony KD55 AF9

Hi all,

Can anyone please help me?

I have a satellite dish...I do not have either cable or arial for TV as a result I cannot and do not wish to use YouView.

I do want to watch TV catch up services via their apps:-

BBC iPlayer

ITV Hub

4OD

My5

I do not have YouView enabled...(I cannot see a configuration option that allows my to disable) so assume it is disabled...please correct me if I have missed an option within settings.

BBC iPlayer and My5 apps work but ITV Hub and 4OD state that I have to setup YouView which I do not want and in fact cannot setup!

Other community posts explain how to enable this but not for this specific TV so wander if I have missed something, (hopefully) or it is just not possible and I will have to get another device to connect to my TV to access this content which seems very backward.

Hoping that someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Some of the app are available regardless of youview (BBC iplayer i.e. if I am not wrong, sorry but I am not based in UK so cannot give an exact feedback) some only inside youview but you still have for some of them a sideload workaround. In anycase the solution is valid for any UK android tv, so you can rely on them also for your tv model. Or maybe a UK user such as @royabrown2 my help further

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MattGibson @rooobb 

Thanks for the heads-up @rooobb 

Matt, how are you using your satellite dish? If for Sky or Freesat, coming in via HDMI, fine, but if you are wanting to use the Sony’s (non-Freesat) satellite tuners, then you can’t do that with YouView enabled; and enabling YouView will wipe out all your satellite tunings.

But one of these Sony TVs, out of the box, has YouView enabled by default, so I think that is what you will have.

To switch to the Freeview side, though, look at the FAQ, top of this Community Android TV page, and it’s Android-specific option 1.

As @rooobb says, you can sideload the itv and All4 Apps on the Freeview side of these sets; look up Hoshsadiq on the internet. But I can’t say any more here, or it will get removed.

However, even then to get them working, you need to have tuned in itv and All4, so you will need to connect a terrestrial aerial at least temporarily for this, and tuned the TV, though you don’t have to leave it connected to an aerial after that. (Until the set loses all its tunings because you have to do a factory reset for any one of a myriad of reasons, of course).

Another option, comparable with the price of a powered room aerial, would be to get a Roku stick, plug that into the TV, and get the players that way.

Or send the damn TV back where you bought it, telling them it’s because all this palaver is too silly to deal with, and get a somewhat more sensible TV of a different make. All retailers understand....

My Sony Android TV got kicked out of the lounge after a family revolt against its quirks, in favour of our lovely Samsung, and I have to retreat to the cold and lonely garret where the Sony now lives out its days, if I want to explore its behaviour any further, e.g. to offer advice in this Community.

Though I am replying here from memory, as this question comes up rather frequently.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…