Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 49XF9005 firmware for Dolby Vision

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

Sony 49XF9005 firmware for Dolby Vision

Hi,

Long time since I have been on this forum. Gave up on my 49X8309 and plunged for the 49XF9005 as this seems to be one of the best TVs for this size and it cerainly is an improvement.

A few issues:

Netflix works OK with Dolby Vision but only 2ch PCM sound - eg No Dolby 5.1, So, I can have HDR10 + DD5.1 from my Nvidia Shield or Dolby Vision in Stereo from the built-in app. I'm using the optical output and it is fine with the Youview app. Is this an Android issue? I seem to recall that 5.1 was not available on Amazon Prime on the 49X8309, so I just used the Nvidia Shield but that does not support Dolby Vision.

When you use a HDR source and press Picture on the Action Menu it indicates HDR but not what flavour of HDR as some other TVs do. I assume this is just Sony.

Is Dolby Vision supported via HDMI?

If I scroll through the HDR mode setting, normally left on Auto I only see HDR10 and HLG.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

MartiB.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@MartiB47  schrieb:

Netflix works OK with Dolby Vision but only 2ch PCM sound - eg No Dolby 5.1, So, I can have HDR10 + DD5.1 from my Nvidia Shield or Dolby Vision in Stereo from the built-in app. I'm using the optical output and it is fine with the Youview app. Is this an Android issue? I seem to recall that 5.1 was not available on Amazon Prime on the 49X8309, so I just used the Nvidia Shield but that does not support Dolby Vision.

Dolby Passthrough works for Netflix and Amazon on Sony Android TV. No clue why it does not work for you. Probably something plugged into the headphone jack? That will indeed disable Passthrough.

@MartiB47  schrieb:

When you use a HDR source and press Picture on the Action Menu it indicates HDR but not what flavour of HDR as some other TVs do. I assume this is just Sony.

You can at least discern Dolby Vision from the rest. The TV switches to the Dolby Vision picture profile in this case. As for HDR10 and HLG, you won't be able to tell. However, most internet streaming and file/disc based stuff is HDR10 while broadcast stuff is probably HLG.

@MartiB47  schrieb:

Is Dolby Vision supported via HDMI?

It works for the Apple TV 4K and also Sony's UHD BD player via latest firmware update (although hardly usable, see Forbes article). Other players have yet to be updated for DV profile 5.

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

Kuschelmonschter,

Thanks for this, however, whilst I do use the headphone out set as fixed line for connection to my sound bar for general use (the optical connects to my AVR) I am getting DD when I use the Amazon Prime app and the iPlayer app (was not aware BBC has now added DD support in iPlayer). So, to me it appears to be an issue with the Netfix app?

Regards,

MartyB

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sure that the show/movie you are playing has a 5.1 track?

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

OK - Got there. It seems that Amazon Prime delivers 5.1 even if something is connected to the headphone/line out socket. Netflix requires nothing connected/plugged into the socket then the 5.1 icon appears (amd my AVR detects DD).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I only know the Kodi code as it is open source. It checks via Android API whether the headphone jack is connected and disables Passthrough as a consequence. Netflix seems to be doing the same.