Join now - be part of our community!

Sideloading Google Assistant

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sideloading Google Assistant

I installed Google Assistant on my Sony ATV1 model today. What you have to do is sideload the 'Google app for Android TV' in version 3.X.

assistant.jpg

German language works like before. It does not look to be any smarter though. It still fails to resolve German channel names with special characters inside (like Sat.1 or ORF SPORT+). Also the following commands pretty much failed:

"Play The Walking Dead on Netflix"

"Show me movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger" > "Only those with Sylvester Stalone" (it doesn't preferably show movies starring both)

It still feels like the old Google Now from an A.I. point of view. Still not very smart. The only change seems to be the UI. So this does not seem to be the real deal.

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter The problem is that I don't have any USB keyboard. But I use the MacBook as keybord with Typeeto, or the phone with Android TV app or Vide & TV Sideview.

Still it doesn't matter, because I bought me new Apple TV 4K! Oh the joy of having a working, functional system!!! :laughing:

PS: Amazon Prime Video breaks the lip sync even on the Apple TV, though. But the audio doesn't stutter. And from what I see I do get 5.1 audio from many shows.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

But I use the MacBook as keybord with Typeeto

So you connect your MacBook via Bluetooth to the TV and can use its keyboard? That's probably causing it. I think it happens as soon as you connect some other keyboard that mic button long-press does not work anymore.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

But I use the MacBook as keybord with Typeeto

So you connect your MacBook via Bluetooth to the TV and can use its keyboard? That's probably causing it. I think it happens as soon as you connect some other keyboard that mic button long-press does not work anymore.

I don't know, because when I tested it I never had Typetoo active. The virtual keyboard was only paired as a BT device, but there was no BT connection active. But sure, who knows, that might be what causes it. I won't test it because the last time that I unpaired my Mac then it became a mess pairing it again. Also from the little I used my feeling is that I was just getting a better GUI. The results were the same.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I don't know, because when I tested it I never had Typetoo active. The virtual keyboard was only paired as a BT device, but there was no BT connection active. But sure, who knows, that might be what causes it. I won't test it because the last time that I unpaired my Mac then it became a mess pairing it again. Also from the little I used my feeling is that I was just getting a better GUI. The results were the same.

Yes, the only thing that changes is indeed the GUI. The underlying voice assistant still is a dumb Google Now. The reason IMHO is that we are both living in countries where Google Assistant is not yet available. Or that it takes more than just updating the Google Search app. But I think it is a location issue.

profile.country.GB.title
novalu
Explorer

Thanks guys for this thread. I have same problem with half-supported Google Assistant on my KD-49XE8096. Probably I'm in a unsupported region for now (Czechia). After upgrade to system with Google Assistant according to press release this fall I still had "Google App for Android TV" version 2.* with the old "dumb" assistant. Sideloading 3.0.0/3.1.0/3.1.1 did not solve this issue. It brings different (and better) position of voice control UI, but voice controlling is laggy, sometimes unresponsive, more clever, but still not a true Google Assistant with AI flow (i.e. "turn off lights" launch Google search for this query instead of controlling Philips Hue just like Google Assistant do this on my mobile phone with 8.1 Oreo).

Today there was listed new version 3.1.2 on APKMirror, but issue is still not solved. (protip: you can subscribe to receive notification of a new versions).

I hoped that Sony mention something about Android 8.0 (which have full Google Assistant support out of the box) on CES 2018, but sadly I haven't read something about this in press release :confused:

Do someone knows when we can expect improvement? Thanks.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Having known Sony's efforts concerning software on the TV for quite some time now I wouldn't expect anything from them.

Also Android TV is more of a pain. Oreo on Nexus Player is really underwhelming. Find more about Sony and Android TV in my review.

profile.country.GB.title
novalu
Explorer

Thank you for your work on this great summary. Didn't know Sony has so poor Android TV implementation. Hopefully it will be better in future :smirk:

profile.country.GB.title
novalu
Explorer

Good news everyone! I've got an update of Google App for Android TV to version 3.4.0.201591669 on my KD-49XE8096. When I've pressed mic button for the first time, then Google Assistant wizard was launched. After a few steps I have fully functioning Google Assistant with the support of continuous conversation and smart home control. I've told “Turn off the lights“ and after a while, lights was turned off just like with Google Assistant on my Android phone. Enjoy :slight_smile: