Join now - be part of our community!

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

Itchigo53
Explorer

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

All, installed the update and have now been notified I can record.  Got a usb hdd plugged in but when I press the record button either on live tv or epg for a future programme I have the msg pop up "the button is unavailable in youview mode" ! I've searched and no one else seems to have this error. 

Thanks.

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
jhunter619
Explorer

@Thegadgetman wrote:

You do well (or nether leave the house) as you only need one recording device.  I often go away for 2 - 4 weeks at a time, so I do need 3 0r 4 devices.  Even if I am at home I never watch anything "live" in case I get interupted by phones or personal callers.

wow you do sound popular, I am amazed you have time to watch any TV.. Yes the 1 recorder I thought I had paid for would of been enough for me

profile.country.GB.title
jhunter619
Explorer

@ExpertContributor wrote:

So I would advise anyone who has purchased one of these TVs to disable Youview and try the inbuilt guide, since it takes less than a minute to re-enable Youview again in settings. This advice is especially for anyone who either, or neither, knows nor cares what Youview is.

Yes I totally agree with this. YouView is poor to say the least (on this TV at least). The issue I had with your suggestion was I prefer to have access to the On Demand conent (iPlayer, 4oD etc) which means I have to have YouView on... This is probably why I am soooo annoyed with the TV overall as my day to day experience isn't great as you have described. For me I thought I would use the On Demand stuff more than recording. Either way this is an annoying situation, whichever way you go you have to do without one of the features you paid for!

profile.country.GB.title
ernson
Explorer

Can I record a program on Youview with an HDD connected?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

No, I’m afraid you can’t.

A couple of points about what has been written above:-

(i) YouView tries to pretend that when you have been over on the Freeview side of things and come back, you have to retune. You don’t. Just skip the retune step, and you are back in YouView in seconds.

(ii) A NowTV stick (£15 and no need to actually subscribe to NowTV, unless you want to) will, at the cost of taking up one of the HDMI ports on the TV, give you all four catchup services no matter if the TV is set to Freeview or YouView. This, I always think, is a no-brainer for getting round Sony’s inability to provide the itv Hub and All4 on the Freeview side of things.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

Am incensed to read that You View DOES in fact support recording programme possibilities. According to the contributor, the only reason it’s not available on a Sony Bravia is because Sony have not incorporated that basic TV feature! I mean - putting up with the horrendous Android OS that let’s the SONY TV down at every turn, to now hear that the ability to record a TV programme isn’t available because SONY haven’t bothered to include the feature, while other manufacturers have, is astounding... It’s like SONY seem to have completely given up on their TVs, products that in the 90s were MUST-HAVE. Am SO disappointed...

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Simon-Roberts wrote:

Am incensed to read that You View DOES in fact support recording programme possibilities. According to the contributor, the only reason it’s not available on a Sony Bravia is because Sony have not incorporated that basic TV feature! I mean - putting up with the horrendous Android OS that let’s the SONY TV down at every turn, to now hear that the ability to record a TV programme isn’t available because SONY haven’t bothered to include the feature, while other manufacturers have, is astounding... It’s like SONY seem to have completely given up on their TVs, products that in the 90s were MUST-HAVE. Am SO disappointed...

Read where? What contributor? Please provide a citation/URL/reference so I can put him/her straight as well.

YouView PVRs allow recording - YouView on Sony Android TVs doesn't. We don't know why, and they won't tell us, but I suspect footprint issues.

Sony have certainly included the recording feature, as it works perfectly well on the Freeview side of these TV sets.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
NotaSonyFanAnymore
Explorer

I wish i had read this before purchasing one of these TVs.  What is the point of YouView on a Sont TV if you cannot pause or record?   any other make of TV at this level with Freeview Play this is standard.  As this thread is 2 years old and this issue is stillnot solved then SONY obviously dont give a damn.  I will be complaining to Sony and pasting on any board that will allow me NOT TO BUY SONY TV WITH YouView installed upon it.    THIS HAS BEEN A WASTE OF MY MONEY COMPLETELY 

So I will start with AMAZON reviews and see how many bad reviews I can give before my anger subsides.

profile.country.GB.title
EricCarter
Explorer

Oh god this has reopened on old wound

profile.country.GB.title
NotaSonyFanAnymore
Explorer

Just paid a fortune for my TV so i am a little bitter and twisted.

Just posted bad reviews on 5 Sony Android TVs on Amazon

Will make it a mission to seek out other sites where i can post a review

I am certain they will only update this if sales are affected

I assume you had no joy with them either?

Get Outlook for Android
profile.country.GB.title
EricCarter
Explorer

This is like an open wound that you've just picked at.......    I have plenty of recording options but that's not the point.  The TV does not do what it should but 2 Years of therapy and I'm over it..

However

I will never buy another Fony TV or any other device for that matter.