Join now - be part of our community!

Playing USB Sony Bravia.

profile.country.GB.title
chrislaw2006
New

Playing USB Sony Bravia.

Hi. 

So so I’ve changed from Samsung to Sony Bravia KD-55XE8596. 

I seem to be having difficulty with the USB. Previously when I used to plug my external WD passport in the Samsung it would just load and see it as a source. The Sony doesn’t seem to do so. When I plug it in it does come up. But if you come out there is no way to go back into the drive apart from replugging it. Also some films are just playing any sound. I have downloaded VLC to the TV but I can’t seem to be able to play through this. 

Many advice. 

Thanks for your time. 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Please take a look here for more information on connecting a USB device to your TV, and to check the supported file formats 

here.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
chrislaw2006
New

I thank you but it’s not allowing me to open. 

profile.country.GB.title
Poromies
Explorer

I tried unsuccessfully for several weeks to play home movies from USB on my late 2016 Bravia 55” smart (?)/Android TV. The same USB drive worked perfectly on a small Samsung in a spare bedroom. My USB devices were formatted as FAT32. Movie files were all less than 2Gb and were in formats listed by Sony as acceptable (mostly mp4).
I took my USB device to the retailer where I bought the TV (PC World, Milton Keynes, UK). They could not get my USB device to work with a single Sony TV in their store. Not one. They then tested the same USB device with Samsung and LG TVs which worked perfectly. The store’s Sony “expert” could not offer any advice other than resetting my TV to factory specs; this was meaningless as the Sony TVs in the store had the same problem. I called PC World “help” who claimed never to have heard of this problem and offered no solution or useful ideas.
I created a new 16Gb USB “stick” formatted as ExFat. That worked!!!!! I then reformated a 2Tb external drive as ExFat. That would not work. I reformated the 2Tb drive again using the reformat facility in the TV’s settings menu. The external drive was reformated as Fat32. That worked, but the maximum file size is around 2Gb, not 4Gb as shown in this video. I will next try a 1Tb external drive formatted as ExFat.
The picture and sound quality (through Sony sound bar) are superb, but the USB experience has left me seriously underwhelmed by Sony. A great deal of time-consuming messing around has been required to get my Sony to read USBs. It is pretty frustrating when other brands work immediately, and quite frankly unacceptable for a top brand like Sony.

matomi
New

I have bought kd65xe9005. It has serious issues with playing back from USB drives. Many times it does not mount the drive, content can not be seen. If it happens to recognize the drive it can not play back big 4k films fluently, sometimes no video just sound, realy realy frustrating. Anyone else with same experinece, any solution? Thanks.

Tags (1)