Join now - be part of our community!

Open letter to Sony - Shame on you and Google too!

profile.country.GB.title
fargo_swe
Explorer

Open letter to Sony - Shame on you and Google too!

I bought my Sony A1 OLED as soon as it came out here in the UK. It has been, to say the least, a disappointing TV experience and by reading here in the forum I am not the only one - far from it. Lots of people are complaining that very fundamental features are NOT working or they are very unstable. Worrying is also that it is not only my model that is affected. To just mention a few A1 specific bugs; we have disappearing picture, audio passthrough, program guide freeze/crash (youview), HDMI not working, TV shuts down/reboots or even turn itself on! The list of software flaws is long, in fact, I could list over 50 fundamental bugs!

The A1 which is your absolute premium model is not delivering what is promise. Behind the glossy marketing we have a dysfunctional, laggy piece of hardware filled with software that never should have gone in production. It is the unbiased truth and I challenge you to prove me wrong.

My point is if you buy a PREMIUM TV you expect it to work perfectly and it is not. The lack of response, here in the forum where peoples issues are left unanswered speaks it's own language - at least it tells me there is no current solution and we will have to wait for a very long time until the issues are so be solved. If they ever will be...

At best, my experience with the A1 is that I have been treated like an unpaid beta tester. How Sony could allow releasing this and other Android TV models to the market is for me a mystery.  

THEREFORE Sony, as a consumer, I challenge you to transparently come up with an action plan and let your consumers know what is going on behind the scenes. It is time for action rather than silence and stepping up and face the truth and loose some face at first but hopefully gain it back in a later stage. I challenge you Sony to bring forward a very senior Sony staff member that will reply to this post and give the Sony community some straight answers:

We acknowledge the following problems XYZ
We have taken the following actions to fix them

We will transparently share progress with you

You can expect a resolution XXX

And we will compensate you in the following way

Let the challenge begin!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am afraid that your open letter isn't worth your time. I have been fighting for improvements for over a year now. So far, Sony has made the experience worse with every major Android update though.

I want to append my own review and a list of bugs that I experience on a daily basis:

The Sony Android TV Experience

The Sony Android TV Experience - DTV Integration

Sony Android TV Tracker

I lost all my faith that anything will ever change though. If I were you, I would return this piece of trash while you still can.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @fargo_swe and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

This is a Sony User / fan forum, so no Sony staff will respond here.

(The experts are not affiliated with Sony either.)

Sorry you've had a bad time with your A1

Did you hand over the list of bugs that you found on your TV set to Sony?

profile.country.SE.title
fArGo1911
Explorer

No worries I will take this as high up as I have to. I am sure they are reading the forum so they got a heads up.

profile.country.SE.title
fArGo1911
Explorer

Very comprehensive summary. Have you confronted Sony with this? Let's bring it to the rightful owners and confront the or to the media.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Forget it. Sony support seems to be some callcenter which is completely detached from the rest. Whenever you contact them, they follow this protocol:

- perform factory reset

- try upcoming firmware

- everything is within specification

- it is Google's fault

@Anonymousused to be the only serious connection who actually cared about the quality of the product. But even he could not achieve much. And now he is gone. So I don't expect things to improve.

Media does not seem to be interested either. They still play the numbers and pixel peeking game. No interest in the functional aspects whatsoever.

But I'd like to encourage you to try your luck. Feel free to use my stuff as well.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Quinnicusused to be the only serious connection who actually cared about the quality of the product. But even he could not achieve much. And now he is gone. So I don't expect things to improve.

We all hope he is in good health

DD4748
Explorer

I find the Youview system clunky and poor. I prefer to use the satellite tuner or the digital tuner. However, unless I set up Youview I cannot use the ITVhub or All4 apps. If I set up Youview then the satellite tuner is not available. I have been told that Sony have not intention of changing the situation. Why not? A premium TV is sold with not all the capability being available. Either have Youview & no satellite tuner or no Youview & various apps but satellite tuner available. I was not told this when I purchased the set.