Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jonnyaikido
New

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

I have a KD-55A1 connected via a 2.1 HDMI (ARC) cable to STR 1080DN amp with connected 5.1.2 atmos speakers.  How can I get the Netflix app on my TV to stream Dolby Atmos audio to the AV amp?

Thanks!

61 REPLIES 61
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@hikotam  schrieb:

Guys 

I recently bought AF9 55 inch master series oled which has almost all codecs of dolby, however streaming apps on sony wouldn't support dolby atmos at all.

@rooobb  schrieb:

Dolby Atmos cannot be passed through arc without having eArc that is implemented only on the newer AG9... have you tried using only the internal speaker (even if the result is probably worst than passing DD to the AVR...)

Why do you still say that? ARC devices supporting the 192kHz clock rate (=6.144mbps) (don't confuse clock rate with audio sampling rate!) can transfer lossy (DD+/EAC3 based) Atmos as used by streaming services. Only lossless (TrueHD/MLP based) Atmos is not supported. Also see Dolby Developer pages.

profile.country.GB.title
hikotam
Explorer

@schrieb

You are correct, I am aware of that, dolby atmos works nicely using HDMI
arc, eARC seem to be only for enhanced support especially in case of video
codecs like Dolby Vision.

I tried with internal speakers to test Dolby Atmos, but nothing works.

Having designed and installed 5 setups of Dolby Atmos with 4k UHD
projectors , the soundbar is not good for my AV enthusiastic and audiophile
ears 🙂

I thought of returning the TV and Soundbar (Yamaha ysp-5600 with Rel T5i
SW), but I will at least keep them for music until I buy apple 4k TV.
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Still, correct me if I am wrong, over arc you can feed only 5.1 discrete channel...so what kind of atmos it would be?
profile.country.GB.title
hikotam
Explorer

Well, In this case, the content should be coming out of dolby atmos
compatible AV receiver like
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dh790.

For sure I believe, Dolby Atmos works over ARC, but not o if you are
streaming through TV apps.
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:
Still, correct me if I am wrong, over arc you can feed only 5.1 discrete channel...so what kind of atmos it would be?

That's just wrong. Read the Dolby Developer pages I just linked to further above. No such limitation is mentioned there. ARC with 192kHz clock rate can transfer any data of up to 6.144mbps (192.000 * 16 * 2) which perfectly lies within the DD+ Atmos specs. Channel count does not matter. It is just some compressed data that is transferred.

@hikotam  schrieb:
For sure I believe, Dolby Atmos works over ARC, but not o if you are
streaming through TV apps.

I have seen DD+ Atmos being output via Kodi using Android's ENCODING_E_AC3 API. Netflix app artificially restricts it to 2018 and later models for some reason. AF9 should therefore be included.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter  ha scritto:

@rooobb  schrieb:

That's just wrong. Read the Dolby Developer pages I just linked to further above. No such limitation is mentioned there. ARC with 192kHz clock rate can transfer any data of up to 6.144mbps (192.000 * 16 * 2) which perfectly lies within the DD+ Atmos specs. Channel count does not matter. It is just some compressed data that is transferred.

@Kuschelmonschter  didn't find any assurance also about the opposite. It seems it is quite controverse http://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/06/25/dolby-atmos-over-hdmi-arc

AlexM1970
Explorer

65XF9005 and Denon H1500 reciever gives out DD+ and lossy Atmos via HDMI ARC when watching Netflix with tv’s app.

I have 5.1.2 (2 top middle ceiling speakers) and it works just fine.

Here is a great thread that covers the issue. See 1st and 2nd posts atleast.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2378442-dolby-digital-p...

profile.country.AU.title
Sfe316
Explorer

2D16101D-2E1F-47E1-B00F-67CD13EE7472.jpeg

I have a 2019 75” X95G and I can’t get Netflix to spit out Atmos. Netflix says it’s available as per image but it only sends Dolby digital + when viewing on my amp. I have capable equipment etc. I think it must be firmware but question is when will it be available 

Luckster40
Explorer

Hi, I have the HT-ZF9 Soundbar connected to my KD55-AF9 via eArc.
When watching Dolby Atmos content via SkyQ - pressing the display button on the soundbar remote shows “Dolby Atmos” on the on-screen message - So all is good there and working correctly.

But - The TV’s built in Netflix app shows programs available in Atmos, like your picture, but when watching, I press the display button on the soundbar remote - the soundbar led display just shows “Dolby Audio DD 48khz” - not “Dolby Atmos” so I am not sure whether it’s the Netflix app, the tv or the soundbar that’s stopping the Atmos soundtrack being delivered or if it is actually Atmos but it’s just displayed as “Dolby Audio DD 48khz” rather than “Dolby Atmos”

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Dolby Atoms on netflix is still compressed in Dolby Digital, it is not uncompressed audio