Join now - be part of our community!

Cleaning (again)

profile.country.GB.title
SteveStacey
Explorer

Cleaning (again)

Hi

I know this has probably been fine to death, but seeing different views expressed. 

Recently inherited 2019 KD49XF9005 LED/LCD. I’m struggling to remove smudges and fingerprints around edge of screen. The Sony official site mentions soft cloth, like that used to clean glasses. I’ve tried this, but seems to just move the smudge rather than remove. I’ve bought microfibre cloth, but nervous about using anything, and terrified about dampening.

Any advice must appreciated.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
SteveStacey
Explorer

Thanks. I’ll try the rubbing alcohol (70%?} applied to micro filter and see how that goes? It’s slightly worrying, though, that Sony only officially recommend the quick wipe with a glasses cloth. Obviously worried about culpability if these other methods damage screen.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey SteveStacy, this is what Sony listed on the link above:

For inks from oil markers on the screen, soak a cloth in a non-soap cleanser diluted (by less than 1%) with water. Squeeze it tightly, then wipe the ink off.

Use non-soap cleansers cautiously because it may cause environmental problems when disposed of improperly.

I wouldn't try anything else even if other people tried it, no one will share the damage with you!

If you're struggling, you can get it professionally cleaned.