Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

I have ps4 Pro hooked up to 930e I have it in footballode and the iplayer stream is still juddery 200mb down internet so that's not the problem

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@benjy86 wrote:

I have ps4 Pro hooked up to 930e I have it in footballode and the iplayer stream is still juddery 200mb down internet so that's not the problem

You need to enable motionflow with quite agressive settings, clear or smooth with film mode on high. Should smooth it out for you, works for me. Also if you force HLG and BT.2020 its a great looking picture on my XE90. I just use sports mode and have tweaked the colour settings to my other modes.

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Can anyone play mpd in Kodi? VLC works, but I can't get Kodi to work. I've enabled the plugins. I've also tried to save it as "strm"

profile.country.GB.title
rod_hull

I think you will need Kodi v18 (Leia). This is what talk on the Kodi forum suggests is required to play these BBC DASH UHD .mpd streams.

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

I did try all those things but it was still a touch jittery like enough to be distracting

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

I have the xe9305 and the PS4 Pro and I couldn't get it to work very well either. I don't think iplayer is optimised very well for this platform. I am using the Roku+ and it's another level entirely. I only have 30-40mb Internet and I haven't seen any dropouts or lagging. Picture quality has been amazing all the matches I have watched so far. 

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

I have same set up as you I don't think missus would likee spending 50 on a
Roku just for the world cup
profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Are you guys getting 2160p in Kodi? I'm only getting 1080 9-10 mbit stream

profile.country.GB.title
Therealsh

go to Inputstream Adaptive add-on and enable 'ignore display resolution'

profile.country.GB.title
Fruitcake3
Explorer

You know what Sony a lot of your customers will potentially be looking at LG based on your World Cup Support, in the future!And I bet you don’t give a fig based on your support response.