Join now - be part of our community!

Annoyed Isnt The Word - 75X8505 & 75X9405

profile.country.GB.title
Snaeem155
Explorer

Annoyed Isnt The Word - 75X8505 & 75X9405

I purchased a 75X8505 and immediately I knew there was something not right with the tv. Horrific ghosting, blacks which were grey regardless of how I calibrated it, edgelight bleed beyond acceptable levels and it crashed 6 times in 2 days.

I couldnt stand it and the retailer heavy heartedly accepted my request for a return so I spent an extra £1300 for the 75X9405.

Recieved this yesterday and it is the top end line barring the ZD9.

This set has gone unresponsive in the menu 3 times requiring me to pull the plug out, it has juddering which is extremely offputting and there is terrible artifacting. This is again with fully calibrated settings and both sets had the latest firmware installed.

What is going on? I have been a lifelong Sony guy but I genuinely cannot believe what I have experienced this week.

Retailer has said the first refund was a goodwill gesture and they wont do anything with the 75X9405.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

You should remind your retailer of his statutory obligations here:-

Consumer Rights Act 2015

Goods 

The Act requires goods to be:

Of satisfactory quality.
Fit for a particular purpose.
As described.
Previously defective goods had to be rejected within a 'reasonable period' but now consumers have a minimum of 30 days in which they can reject goods that fail to conform to the contract.

So 'good will' does not come into it,

Additionally, if you bought the set wholly or partly (over £100) with a Credit Card, then you have the same (Section 75) right of redress against the credit card company.

If the retailer is a large chain rather than an independent, though, a call to head office, who will likely be much more au fait with the above, may prove more effective,

You might want to say that out of your good will, you will accept a replacement set from another manufacturer, for cash difference.

But you are under no obligation to do so; you can take your refund and go elsewhere if you choose, something that may be conditioned by whether they put up an unreasonable fight or not.

And don't worry that they might say 'see you in court'; the Small Claims procedure in the County Court is simple, swift and inexpensive, can be heard in your jurisdiction not theirs, and is usually much weighted towards any but the most unreasonable of plaintiffs.

(I know, as I have used it - though not to return my Sony Android TV, which is at least usable, even though it is not ideal)

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Snaeem155
Explorer

The retailer is an independent and I'm sure they will come to some sort of middle ground if need be.

I'm just shocked at the performance of both sets.

Kind of wishing I went with another brand.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The TVs are indeed horrible. You can read my review in case you are interested. Return it while you still can.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Snaeem155

Sometimes after a firmware update, a factory reset can assist in issues such as yours.  Instructions HERE.  Can you please confirm if you have done so?  If you havnt, I would advise doing so, but you will want to write down all your picture settings, as any customisation/calibration will be reset back to factory defaults.

Cheers

mbmapit
Explorer

There is an inherent issue with the OS on all of these TV's and that won't change unless Sony/Google step up their game. However, it is something I can live with if they fix my juddering issue.