Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I've got another issue post-firmware-update.

Google assistant now keeps responding to voices on TV with a pop up at the
bottom of the screen !

I can get rid of it with the remote, but it's horribly annoying.
jazzyjazz
New

XG95 9.0 here, problems with power saving, seems like low mode doesn't work. Before update TV blocked brightness settings using this mode and the picture was noticeably darker. Now only the last mode blocks brightness settings and makes picture dim. Did the factory reset after update, problem remains.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

But why do you use echo mode tondim the tv?!?
profile.country.SE.title
Haisam62
New

Try to update you tv using USB 16-32GB 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

getting prompted that there's an update available ( UK)  has anyone updated and were there any issues? I read  earlier in this thread that  Samba needs to  be enabled  but id disabled it  a while back and was still able to manually instal the previous update  from a USB stick  So Is it really necessary to   re- enable the Samba service ??

profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

I downloaded and installed a firmware update today which I believe was v6.6545 on my KD-49XF9005. Installed successfully and no apparent problems so far.

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

Anyone in UK with a KD-65XF9005 upgraded to v6.6545, any issues?

profile.country.IE.title
kebroad
Explorer

Hello again everyone. After all I’ve read here about problems with the update(s) I resolved not to use the USB method. I thought - If I decide to opt for the update, I’d rather leave it to Sony themselves to f***-up my TV instead of me. This way would simplify matters when dealing with them over any damage (or death) they might inflicted upon it.

I’m not entirely happy with Nougat but it works well enough compared to what could go wrong with the update. I’m generally pleased with the TV so I set the ‘automatically download software while the tv is in standby’ option to off. I’d presumed that nothing would change on my TV unless I’d ‘check(ed) for a system software update’ and decided to manually update the TV. I thought this would be MY choice.

I bought my KD-55XF9005 online from Richer Sounds Belfast and had them deliver it here to me in the ROI. This evening while watching the thing, all of a sudden, it reboots and then informs me that it’s downloaded a software package. I’m assuming it won’t do much harm in an un-installed state, but I just don’t like the imposition of something that takes up storage space and thus surely must cause the TV to slow down to some extent. I must reiterate - I did not ask for this (whatever it is) to be on my TV’s system.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Your assumptions are wrong. Even if it arrives via the network it is your own decision in any case to install the new firmware so it doesn't change anything if you have downloaded it from the official sony website. Oreo is out now since more than one year but if you are happy with nougat it is up to you.
Btw the firmware is downloaded in a reserved memory area that you do not see in any case (have you noted that you have available only 8gb out of the 16gb your tv have?)
profile.country.FR.title
gandalf_junior
Explorer

Hello,

I was waiting of the OTA update and then I also read the information about the Samba service.

After enable the service, the update was proposed automatically at the next start of the TV.

Update done: everything looks fine for the moment.