Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I'm still getting TV sound issues...losing sound completely which can only
be resolved by a reboot.

This is both using the inbuilt tuner as well as a PVR Youview box.
profile.country.GB.title
Derharne
Explorer

Same here, worked great at first now I'm getting sound issues. Netflix sometimes has no sound, even Sky Q is strange, very intermittent, some channels the sound doesn't appear to work then turn to the next channel it is fine, switch back and it's not working. If I turn the TV off and back on again the sound is working on the same channel without changing the sky box at all. 

Not certain but I think it's an issue with Dolby Digital not working intermittently. 

Does anyone else think the same?

profile.country.IE.title
kebroad
Explorer

Hi rooobb, Ok, I get what you say about the reserved memory, thanks. I have a couple of questions for you. I see that after your name, this forum has designated you an ‘Expert’ - does this mean you are employed by Sony as such? As an expert, could you please tell me the exact name of the new firmware that has automatically downloaded on to my TV. Is it Oreo? If so which version? - as there seem to have been at least 2 so far. Or is it Pie? Knowing the exact name means I can research it further on this forum and help me decide whether to install it or not.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Being  tagged as an expert just means that sony recognized my involvement and expertise in the community. Sony does not have any other relationship with users on the community apart for the expert to have a dedicated part of the forum to communicate with sony employees.

Said so you have to press the help button on the remote to see the actual code of the firmware in the corner up right of the tv

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Spoiler

Sorry I did not get exactly your question. Since you did not install it you cannot check which version it is but it always the latest. Just go to the support pages for your tv and you will get the information you need.

If I got it right you have a kd55xf9005 and the latest is the 4th iteration of oreo https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xf90xx_x90xxf-series/kd-55xf9005/download...

profile.country.IE.title
kebroad
Explorer

Alanhudson posted ‘I downloaded and installed a firmware update today which I believe was v6.6545 on my KD-49XF9005. Installed successfully and no apparent problems so far.’ Any news alanhudson? - can you tell me exactly the name of the software that came to you OTA? It should be named there (as you’re probably aware) in the top right corner of the ‘Help’ menu. Your TV is of the same series as mine so whatever issues you may have (or not, hopefully) will likely be duplicated on my 55” version.

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

I've updated also, 3 days ago on my 65xf9005 no issues so far.
profile.country.GB.title
alanhhudson

My software version is showing as PKG6.6545.0255EUA

My understanding is that the update was to the set’s firmware rather than to the Android OS. 
I’ve experienced no issues since downloading the firmware update - the TV is performing as it should. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Android os IS in the firmware

profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

I've got the sony ag8 oled 55inch tv, with the latest firmware. However dolby vision content looks terrible on it with netflix and netflix on xbox one. Get alot blocky textures in dark scenes, colour banding and artifacts in the black letter box bars were I have to reduce the black level to 48 to get rid of it. I had similar issues before I updated the tv. Unfortunately I do not have a dolby vision capable 4k player to try out a doly vision blu ray discs to see if issues are still there.

Any advice? Or work rounds? As I have currently resorted to using a roku streamstick+ to watch Netflix content in regular hdr.

I have currently got a ticket open with sony and their investigation team is currently looking into it. But this has been on going for three weeks now.