Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Steberratron  ha scritto:

I so wish I hadn't updated to oreo on my xd9005 it is nothing but a buggy mess the processor cannot cope, and as for richer sounds helping, you've got no chance, the said as it was a software issue that I would need to get in touch with sony, my tv at the moment is not fit for purpose Netflix is constantly crashing and when it's not its freezing and skipping as is the whole of the android system, I'm fuming !!!!!!

I am not aware of any sony TV XD9005....

profile.country.GB.title
Pat100

For me, the Pie good news is that my AppleTV box can now turn off the TV which it couldn’t do under Oreo. But the ambient sensor’s “one-size-fits-all” lack of control, which makes it useless, seems unchanged. Also, I still can’t zoom the screen via the TV’s settings  when the input is HDMI. 

profile.country.GB.title
phturne39
Explorer

Did you try a factory reset after the update, that seems to have helped my TV (for now).

profile.country.GB.title
Derharne
Explorer

KD-55XG8796

Just installed the Pie update, everything working great. DTS passthrough now works great, kept dropping out on oreo. Airplay just works. Everything is fast and smooth. 

Very pleased😀

profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

Just updated my 75xg9505 to android 9 via usb, wish I hadn't, with the new setting 'hdmi passthrough' set to auto I get "no stream" displayed on my sony STRDN1080 when I watch a 5.1 programme on netflix tv app, so no sound, if I change to a stereo track I get sound, on plex tv app which streams 4k hdr mkv files from my pc I also get "no stream" on all movies and tv shows with multi channel audio.

Before the update I was able to get multi channel audio through netflix, in plex some of the dts movies would play dts 5.1 and some not, the dolby stuff would play fine, now dolby or dts I get "no stream".

If I turn 'hdmi passthrough' off I can play the dolby movies in 5.1 on plex but the dts 5.1 movies that worked previously now show as linear pcm 2.0 on the avr, netflix 5.1 works again.

Oh and sometimes the home screen just freezes when I select netflix, never did before, I have to unplug or do the new 'restart' with the remote control to get netflix working again.

This XG9505 was only given to me by sony after my XF9005 had issues when I updated that from 7 to 8, now this has issues from 8 to 9, 2 updates and both made the TV worse.

Should have learnt my lesson from last time and not updated it.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you reset to factory after the upgrade? If not do it

profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

Did a factory reset this morning on the XG9505, sony AVR was left on throughout, once the TV was reset tried to play things with passthrough in it's default off, all dolby 5.1 stuff played fine and dts 5.1 played at linear pcm 2.0, turn passthrough on and everything shows as 'no stream' displayed on the avr, ie no sound.

Was ready to phone sony tech support and vent but just before I did I turned off the avr and then back on, (not an unplug just a standby on the remote), tried playing the movies again and dts 5.1 and dolby 5.1 now plays, weird.

Don't know how long it will stay working if turning the avr on and off can have such an effect but thanks for the tip on resetting the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

Anyone else having problems with the new android update?

I'm having problems again on my 75 XG9505, sometimes I get no sound when playing anything 5.1 on netflix or plex, there doesn't seem to be a guaranteed way to get it working, sometimes turning my sony strdn1080 avr on and off fixes it and sometimes not, others turning the tv on and off fixes it and sometimes not.

I installed the update on my parents 65 XG9505, they have a sony HTZF9 soundbar, at first it worked ok but last night they told me sometimes they play netflix or amazon prime and get no sound.

So that's me and now my parents and we both have a sony sound system connected to the TV, I could maybe tolerate it if we had denon or onkyo avr/sound bars but the fact it is not compatible with their own products is just ridiculous.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I've also had a couple of sound issues with my updated XG9505. Once after
turning on built in Youview I had to soft reboot to get the TV sound ( I
have a Denon Amp connected but not via ARC for TV sound so that shouldn't
affect it ).

Then last week after switching to my Humax PVR, we lost sound to TV on both
built in Youview and Humax. Soft reboot resolved it.
profile.country.RO.title
Yankoo

I have the same issue with Netflix and audio.  It is a random issue and i have to restart the TV (55XG8505). 

sometimes when I start the TV doesn't connect to my Bluetooth audio and after manual connection the TV speakers still play and It sounds echo-ish because of small Bluetooth delay.

I really hope that Sony engineers never recommend to reset the TV's because it only a temporary solution. this issues are keep coming back. We need a new update on the 5.1 Dolby issue. they fixed this with another issue.