Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
dspencer999

Hi Richard (rsebre),

I wonder if you can explain a little more what you mean by the following?

"Ah, do you have a PSN account? This one needs to be understood more as they won't tell you much, and even me trying have issues. Make sure you've activated the tv's enhanced features, and go to yourmysony.com and register and add the device to your account. This will begin the silent updates, and also many other system validation checks."

How do you switch on "Enhanced Features"? And there is no web-site called yourmysony.com or did you mean mysony.com? Neither seem to exist.

And what does a PSN account have to do with it? Is it best to have one, or best not?

Are you saying that your TV no longer takes a ridiculous time to change TV channel?! I'm keeping my fingers crossed as it's driving me insane!

Thanks,

Dan

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@Holdski

I've experienced that a couple times.  Bit hit and miss when it happens and when it doesn't.  When it happens I tend to go into another app and back out to stop the TV audio,  then open YouTube app to watch whatever 

dspencer999

Ok - shall we start our betting now?!

Will 13th October become 31st October?! Or will the UK finally get a firmware update next week, after a 3 month wait?

I have to say I've lost patience now. I know Sony have finally apologised, but when the US is getting updates, I don't understand why we haven't received fixes for the issues we're experiencing.

Personally, although YouView and all of the other promised additional features will be good, if they sent a bug fix update for what we already have, I'd be much happier. Come on Sony, 5-10 seconds to change channel is ridiculous! I want a basic TV that works!

Very seriously considering sending mine back if the update is delayed again. Enough is enough!

(rant over!)

lesking70

I have noticed the inclusion of the hdr update for the x85c, this is penned in for the 13th also, seems like this is a massive update, might end up causing more problems than solutions?  Fingers crossed for the 13th but I definitely will not be holding my breath! 

MikeLothian

I wonder if the big update is going to be to Marshmallow...😀

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

"Good news everybody" (we know you just read that in Professor Farnsworth's voice from Futurama) SONY have learnt how to hack from our very friendly neighbours,  the one and only Kim Jong-un regime in North Korea, and have taken over theshamelessmanc account. From now on, we will post on his behalf...  Seeing as we know just as little as he does about SONY too!

We would also like to take this opportunity to add some more information to our customers about our update list here....

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

FROM 13th October - life on Mars will found

FROM 13th October - You will Age a little more

FROM 13th October - Possible chance of winning the lottery (4k set owners only, because they can afford a ticket)

BEFORE 24th December - Cold/Rain/Snow 

BEFORE 24th December - Halloween/Annoying kids/Sweets 

BEFORE 24th December - Bonfire and fireworks 

FROM December - Panic/Anger/Frustration/Christmas 

Year not specified so we can keep it as vague as possible, and as always folks, subject to change! Please note that if we missed anything,  or miss the update dates,  we won't let you know and or apologise until it is to late!

Thank you

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Android's Google App Store App's for TV section gets updated.

I'm personaly would'nt think it would be a whole Android OS update, but then the spec's of the X1 Processor we have in our tv's would really allow for anything such as the latest nightly build.

Al_Charles

@theshamelessmanc

On behalf of the community I will reply

Sony can "bite my shiny metal ass"

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

Any body having issues with 3D play back on 55x8509c,  the screen automatically dims so much, that the content is un watchable, even tho brightness defaults to max and glasses brightness is set to high.Need to know if problem is with my TV or a general problem

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Hi @notspurs

Does the dimming happen on normal use of the TV aswell?